DECA Shows DECA-Dedication at State Competition

Tricia Brown
Students represent DECA pride at state competition.

DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) went to the Illinois Career Development Conference competition from Feb. 29 to March 2. With countless nights of studying and many expectations set for the event, the results have paid off. The participants of the following categories have qualified for the International CDC in Anaheim, California: Project Management Career Development, Integrated Marketing Campaign, Principles of Finance, Project Management Sales Project, Project Financial Literacy, Project Management Community Awareness, International Business Plan, Accounting Applicants, Quick Serve Restaurant Management and Principles of Hospitality & Tourism.

During competitions, there are two categories that DECA members must take part in: written events, where they present projects and role-play when given a specific business scenario that they must come up with a solution to. Written projects are roughly ten to 20-page papers that are prepared throughout the year and are required to be submitted before the state competition. The top four role-play scenarios and top three written projects qualify for nationals.

Junior Kelly Wingo explained the project she prepared for and presented at the competition. Wingo and her partner planned to focus on standing out from other competitors.

“In this competition, we are proposing that our judge invests in our plan for an international business venture. We planned to showcase our enthusiasm, passion and confidence in our plan throughout the presentation,” Wingo said.

Along with hopes, there are goals, and to reach them, planning ahead is almost always necessary. Senior Joslin Zakharia shared her study methods for the big event. As one of the CEOs of DECA, she expressed the importance of the preparation needed beforehand.

“I made sure to look at some practice tests, role plays and rubrics for the role plays. I also made sure to practice my script with my partner since that was the one part in our event that we had to compete in,” Zakharia said.

While there is work to be done, entertainment can be found within the studies. Zakharia underlined her favorite experiences coming out of the competition.

“My highlight was definitely when they called our names to qualify for nationals, as well as the fun times I had with everyone in the hallways,” Zakharia said.

Senior Sabrina Nur highlighted all the fun that she had at the event.

“I loved meeting new people at state, being awarded the iConnect award with Kelly for our chapter, and cheering on other winners,” Nur said.

Nur shared some feedback for the underclassmen who are open to joining the club.

“Make the most of your years at DECA. All the preparation pays off when you make it to nationals. This is my second year qualifying, and nationals last year was the highlight of my high school career. I still talk about it today,” Nur said.

However, students aren’t the only people that DECA had an impact on this year. Tricia Brown, one of the sponsors for the club, reflects on the competition’s performances.

“A lot of the students this year were first-time DECA students and they did really great,” Brown said.

As days go by, DECA improves, and the pressure is on. However, effort and dedication is key to good results.