Lifting Heavy Into Competitive Season

Danica Calalang
The powerlifting team breaks after a productive practice

With the powerlifting team’s season coming close to an end, the athletes are grinding in the weight room and bettering themselves with each practice and workout. The Wolves competed at the Illinois High School Powerlifting Association (IHSPLA) Panda Regional this Saturday, March 9, hosted by New Trier High School.

Students competed in three events: squat, bench and deadlift. Each athlete prepared differently for these events as they found other ways to lift powerfully.

“The day before, I try to chill out and let my body rest, roll out and get prepared that way. I [also] try to eat good,” junior Quentin Rimmer said.

Powerlifting meets can run long, meaning athletes have a lot of time to kill before they are expected to compete. Lifters keep their energy high by supporting their other teammates during their events.

“I try to look around and see other people, try to encourage them too. I want to gain a more positive mindset,” Rimmer said.

Powerlifting is not just about intense lifting and working out. Coache Leonore Moran plays a big role in growing an athlete’s natural talent and potential. She has a good time spending time with the team as well as seeing them reach their goals.

“General goals for all athletes is to have good form, build strength, all while being safe and having fun. I enjoy seeing new athletes find other strengths and having a place for them to continue to grow. We’ve got a great group of lifters who really have supported and cheered for each other all school year,” Moran said.

The Panda Regional showcases all the hard work the team has put into the season. They’ve also done a few in-house meets, including Squatober, Dead-cember and Benchuary, with each meet focusing on a specific event.

All competitors reached a new personal record at the meet. Seniors Summer de la Cruz and Callie Nixon, as well as juniors Diego Figueroa and Danny Kretsos, won first overall in their weight class division. Figueroa also won best male overall lifter and broke an IHSPLA deadlift state record by lifting 430 pounds.

“We lift heavy, heavy weights, a lot. We also do a lot of stretching too. I like lifting heavy, it’s just a really satisfying feeling when you’re lifting heavy weights and you PR and you’re just like ‘I got that’. It’s just the best feeling in the world,” Kretsos said.

A huge congratulations to all the lifters that competed this past weekend!