West Honors Four Students At The 2024 IPA Student Recognition

Students and Staff at the breakfast ceremony with certificates (from left to right), Dr. Tucker, Damar Gordon, Tamara Almghrabi, Principal Christian and Timothy Biel.

The Illinois Principal Association (IPA) hosted a breakfast to recognize students statewide for their notable behavior in their school communities. Niles West chose one student per grade level who demonstrated positivity, pride, dignity, respect, dedication and responsibility with attendance along with encouraging others around the school. The event took place at a venue in Elk Grove Village on the morning of March 1. Senior Damar Gordon, junior Marya Memon, sophomore Timothy Biel and freshman Tamara Almghrabi were selected by teachers and staff to represent Niles West.

“I think [the students] represent our four pillars: unity, diversity, perseverance and strength. So I think all of the students that were elected were trying to unify our student body, they also are diverse– so not just one culture or ethnicity, they have persevered through challenges and then they show strength by also working through all of those things which have shown how they’re strong not just academically, but through their personality as well,” Principal Jeremy Christian said.

Students were selected from various schools in Illinois to be recognized for their positive behaviors, not only academically, but socially by advocating for others. These students are found through their actions toward others that create a comfortable school environment.

“It’s one thing to be a really responsible person, I think as an adolescent, it is very hard to stand up for others sometimes in the face of everything else going [on] around you. So we look for students who really encourage that respect, responsibility and positivity around them as a leader,” said Dean Amy Tucker.

IPA emphasizes leadership in schools, including students as initiators. Principal Christian chose one of those initiators, Marya; However, she was not able to attend the event.

“The only [student] that I chose was Marya. I chose her simply because she is a great advocate for a lot of her friends, but not just friends, for students in our school [who] have had some concerns with how we do things in terms of school or the systems we have and she’s been a great person and she’s also on our student leadership team,” Christian said.

Freshman Tamara Almghrabi, one of the students recognized, shared what inspires her to radiate positivity and leadership in school. She also explained why she chose to bring Special Education instructor Sarah Murphy to the breakfast.

“One day my mom once told me to always be positive and know that you can do anything in your life. You always make mistakes but you learn from them. “Almghrabi said, “Ms. Murphy, she always helped me and always [taught] me how to respect [to] others she just wanted me to be on the highest levels and to be successful.”

Each recognized student’s contributions were awarded with a certificate at the end of the ceremony. As for how other students at West can model these behaviors, Principal Christian left a few words of advice.

“Continue to represent our Wolfpack Mentality, remember that this is our house and what we do in our house is we represent our school, we represent our cultures, we represent our ethnicities, but we do it with the five R’s; Being respectful, being responsible and making sure that we are showing each other that we care about one another,” Christian said.