Guide to The Best Spring Songs

A pair of headphones next to a flower.

The transition from winter to spring marks a musical change for some. From the wintry reverberant shoe-gaze slump to a hopeful melodic bravado in our headphones. Here are some of the best spring songs to blossom in your playlist.

1. Just Like Heaven (Cover) by Dinosaur Jr.

Originally sung by The Cure, this song has a timeless and youthful nature to it. Dinosaur Jr. which had their heyday in the early 90’s, adds a grunge-y clamor to their cover. The lyrics hold a playful spring energy, such as, “daylight whipped me into shape.” Accompanied by the fast beat of drummer Emmett Murph, the song is perfect for a push into spring.

2. Daddy’s Car by The Cardigans

“We took off that sunny day. Packed our things and went away,” A hit in anyone’s playlist, The Cardigans truly have a song for every season. Nina Persson’s confectionary voice is just sweet enough for the beginning of springtime. This song is the type you hum during finals, unknowingly living out the lyrics with your one friend with a driver’s license. The innocence and catchiness of any Cardigan’s song make for a peak Spotify shuffle in the spring.

3. I Don’t Owe You Anything by The Smiths

A song that makes Morrissey himself “shudder,” at the love-strewn lyrics he wrote, this tune is perfect for spring. It’s laid-back and groovy, you find yourself swaying to the beat. Albeit many a Smiths song is great for spring, this one is perfect for an end-of-the-semester singalong in the sunshine.

4. October Song by Amy Winehouse

An ironic title, “October Song,” is actually a rather upbeat spring melody. Written in memorial of Amy Winehouse’s pet canary Ava, the song features aviary lyrics fitting of springtime, when birds start singing again. In an interview with Mojo Magazine, Amy reminisced about Ava waking her up with her whistling in the morning. Winehouse’s vocals are incredible on this track and the world misses her dearly.

5. Treat Her Better by Mac DeMarco

Mac DeMarco is a hallmark indie feature for your spring playlist. Like many of his, this song plays out in chill guitar waves and a flowing yet steady beat. The lyrics are about treating your girlfriend right, a nice reminder as the weather gets warmer and you want to keep her through the summertime. Anything by Mac DeMarco can be a spring song, but this one greatly represents his warmer season appeal.

6. Walk In The Park by Beach House

The dream-pop duo of Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally has albums that range from fall, winter, spring, and summer. This song, released with the album “Teen Dream,” is part of a menagerie of spring songs on the album. “Walk In The Park,” seems a fitting title for a nice April day where you go, well, walking in the park. The lyrics broach the topic of letting go, which is how we’re ready to feel about winter.