The Varsity Girls Track and Field Team Finishes Strong at the CSL-North Indoor Championship

Teresa Gattuso, sophmore, runs with the baton on the track.

The Niles West girls varsity track and field team competed at the CSL-North girls indoor championship on March 15. at the Niles West fieldhouse. The conference was their last meet before moving into the outdoor season.

The team competed in the Central Suburban League against, Vernon Hills, Maine West and Highland Park. Out of the six teams, the Wolves placed second, with a final score of 102.

Coach George Howe recognizes the team’s collective efforts and work ethic in receiving their silver medal.

“The girls have made tremendous strides since our first day of practice on Jan. 15. Girls times continue to drop from meet to meet and our field event athletes continue to jump, throw and vault further. All the hard work they have put in has yielded great results [and] I couldn’t be more proud of this team,” Howe said

While the team came in second, several individual golds were made. Junior Carissa Uy earned Conference Champion honors in long jump, triple jump and 50-meter dash. Uy’s performance set two school records in long jump and triple jump. Senior Jeslyn Varghese was also crowned Conference Champion in the 400-meter dash.

“My work ethic over the past years has consisted of showing up to practice every day and putting in my all for every interval or rep. As the season goes on, when I see my times lower each meet I know it is because of my work ethic which starts with practice… I make sure to do my best all the time so I can perform at times that I am proud of,” Varghese said

Success continued to pass through the meet like a baton with the 4×400 relay team consisting of junior Lena Schultz,  sophomore Idara David, senior Grace Zientarski and Varghese winning first place.

I feel like when everyone is putting in their best efforts for the relay you feel the need to put in your best. We all lift each other up and encourage one another. Every time one of our girls is running their leg we’re cheering them on. Relays kind of force you to do the best you can since you don’t want to let your teammates down and it really feels like our efforts all played out,” David said. 

The end of the indoor season has brought great results to the team, however, athletes continue to strive for improvements and record times for the remainder of the outdoor season.

“This season was really fun and I had some great races, but I still hope to improve on my endurance and get faster times to finish the year stronger and better than ever,” sophomore Arielle Pierre Louis said. 

Congratulations to the Niles West girls’ track and field team for placing second at the CSL-North Girls Indoor Championship!