Opinion: Trends Follow Them Or Not?

Social media is a big part of everyone’s daily life there is a lot that comes with it like, trends. Scrolling through TikTok or Instagram you will see all the popular trends that many people get sucked into following. Getting persuaded into these trends can get you to spend money on things that may not be useful or try things that won’t benefit you in the long run. Although there are trends that can be useful there are also trends that can be unnecessary.

Just spending about five minutes on different platforms you can see the different makeup brands that are trending, new clothes and shoes, hairstyles, food and cleaning trends that circulate the internet. It is hard not to get influenced by them when your friends and favorite influencers are telling you to try them. I have been persuaded into trying all different types of trends and spending money on different products that were not even worth it.

There are so many trending makeup brands or hair products that require you to spend money. Beauty products are not cheap, when people are constantly posting about a certain team that “you need to try,” you just start spending money on things that are not worth it. It’s hard not to want things when everyone has it and is talking about it, no one wants to say they haven’t tried a popular team which is why trends affect almost everyone.

Now being a teenager with social media I get a lot of exposure to popular trends and products and I can say some of them are useful. For example, Slick hairstyles are perfect for when you have nothing else to do to your hair and they look good. Along with good trends that are helpful there are also ones that are just a waste of time, like certain hair products. The brand “Dae,” is very popular for its slick back gel, they recently came out with a dry shampoo. Everyone on social media was reviewing it saying how good it was and you “need to get it.” This product was not cheap–forty dollars for a small bottle of it. I thought this product would be so great from all the reviews but in reality, it isn’t the best. It makes my hair feel dirty and it was too expensive for how small it was.

Being careful about what you purchase and what you’re influenced to do is important. There are so many times I have spent money on products that I didn’t like that were expensive. I think some trends are useful but ultimately, I think trends are a way to get you to spend your money. Brands know it is hard when everyone is talking about a new product or style you want to be a part of. I don’t think following trends is useful because not everything is going to benefit you.