What Kamilla Cardoso and Angel Reese Mean for the Chicago Sky

Adam Hunger
University of South Carolina’s Kamilla Cardoso, right, and LSU’s Angel Reese, left, pose for a photo with WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert after being selected third and seventh overall during the WNBA Draft. (Photos by Adam Hunger/AP Photo)

36 new players were introduced to the Women’s National Basketball Association [WNBA] league on Monday, April 15. The Chicago Sky was declared the biggest winner of the night by sports analysts, due to the fact that they took home star prospects Kamilla Cardoso from the University of South Carolina and Angel Reese from Louisiana State University. The two are both National Collegiate Athletic Association [NCAA] champions and hope to bring skill alongside recognition to their newfound team.

The Chicago Sky are entering the 2024-25 season in rebuild mode. After last year’s disappointing ending with an 18-22 record, the team is in serious need of help. The Sky weakened at almost every position from the 2022 team, which was ranked first in the Eastern Conference, and the 2021 team which won the WNBA championship. Looking to form a new image, the Sky headed into the draft looking for players at every role, aiming to address their weaknesses and regain the success they once had. 

The Sky aced their draft selection with the addition of Cardoso, who is a 6’7” explosive center known for her shot-blocking skills and rebounding abilities. She is sure to grow the Sky’s defense. Her size and existence in the paint will make it difficult for opponents to score inside, granting the Sky an advantage on the defensive end. Coming off a national championship, her ambitions of winning will rub off onto the team. 

The reigning South Eastern Conference [SEC] player of the year, Reese, brings competitiveness to the city, along with athleticism and scoring. As a forward, Reese has shown a constant desire for putting the ball in the basket, averaging 18.6 points per game as a college senior. Her ability to create shots off the dribble and contribute on offense will provide a much-needed boost to the Sky’s overall scoring. Similar to Cardoso, Reese has a strong defensive presence with her proficiency in rebounding. With Reese joining the roster, the Sky’s game style will become even more versatile and challenging to defend.

Although the two were college rivals, their NCAA days were put aside as they became teammates. The combination of Cardoso and Reese adds depth and talent to a rebuilding Chicago Sky team, leading their new era of players. With Cardoso’s shot-blocking and defensive presence and Reese’s scoring ability, the Sky will have a balanced roster capable of topping their conference. Their compatible skill sets complement each other, creating a bright future for the upcoming season, and making it almost impossible for opponents to gather rebounds. 

The WNBA draft is a major opportunity for teams to strengthen their rosters, and the Chicago Sky have done just that with Cardoso and Reese. These two players bring talent and the sky is their limit for success. Their effort will undoubtedly shape their team’s success in the new season. Fans can look forward to seeing the two on their debut game on Saturday, May 4 against the Minnesota Lynx.