Go Green Club: Saving the World, One Recycling Bin at a Time

Go Green Club pictured on their Homecoming Parade float.

You might be wondering, who are those people who invade our classrooms and take our recycling bins every Wednesday? Well don’t worry, they’re not recycling bin robbers, they’re the Go Green Club! Starting in 2007, this club has already made a giant impact on our school. Over the past five years, the Go Green Club has saved 1759.5 trees, 682375.5 gallons of water, 39330 gallons of oil, 607554.5 pounds of air pollution, 31671.28 yards of landfill space and 421969.5 kilowatt hours of energy! Although those numbers may seem a bit confusing, they’re saving a lot!

The Go Green Club is also responsible for the different colored bins in each classroom and hallways and for having the lights shut off after passing periods during class time which saves a lot of energy as well.  Although the Go Green Club has already done a lot for our school, there’s always room for improvement.

Tatiana Gulak, one of West’s ELL teachers, who founded and supervises this club thinks that students don’t seem to be paying enough attention to the different colored recycling bins that are set up throughout the school.

“Unless you don’t know your colors, why are you putting tissues in the recycling bin?” said Gulak. “There are containers in the hallway that are clearly marked for bottles! They should be used!”

Junior Rachael Kossy, a member of the club, gets annoyed by the lack of attention people seem to pay when throwing something away.

“It annoys me when I see people throw something in the trash when there’s a recycling bin right next to it,” she states.  “People actually need to learn what not to recycle. People, gum is not recyclable!

Go Green Club meets Wednesday at 3:30 in 2320