Hush, Hush is Something to Talk About

“Hush, Hush” by Becca Fitzpatrick starts an enchanting series that tells a story of life, love, immortals, and fallen angels. Nora Grey is a sophomore at Coldwater High School. She’s the average, responsible student with straight A’s and a clean record. In biology class, she usually sits with her best friend, Vee Sky, whom Nora tutors every now and then. One day their biology teacher decided to change up the seating chart, and Nora finds herself sitting next to the new student, a senior named Patch Cipriano. Patch is the typical bad boy; he only sports black jeans and a black shirt and the occasional blue baseball cap. In the overused plot line, Nora detests Patch from the start. She found him too immature and way too lazy with his work.

As the novel progresses, Nora begins to notice weird things happening to her. Everywhere she goes, Nora finds herself in life-threatening situations, and Patch is always there. This leaves Nora searching for answers. She finds out that someone is out to kill her. Also Patch reveals to her later that he is a fallen angel, hoping to become a human. He has to compete in the dangerous Nephilim race that requires all fallen angels to take control of a human body for a week. In order to gain his humanity back, he needs to make a human sacrifice. His ex-girlfriend and fellow fallen angel, Dabria suggests using Nora as the sacrifice. His plan backfires when he begins to fall in love with Nora.

I read this book in one sitting because it was so great. I have very few complaints about “Hush, Hush.” It was everything that a good book needs. There was romance, action, and a little mystery. And although there was a lot of information to absorb in one book, the plot was original and creative. I applaud Fitzpatrick for taking the idea of fallen angels and the Nephilim race and creating a well thought out and amazing story. Also Fitzpatrick did a great job at keeping the reader guessing. When I thought I knew what was going to happen next, I was wrong and was surprised by the continuous twists and turns.

Fitzpatrick made great characters in Nora, Patch, and Vee. Nora’s friendship with Vee was something genuine. Their personalities were so different so that made reading about them very fun. Vee was hilariously boy-crazed while Nora was the responsible one who never planned on falling in love. Patch was another great character as well. After reading this, I do not blame Nora for falling in love with him so quickly. He was a mysterious and romantic  bad boy—cue the sigh. Overall, Fitzpatrick creates good understandings for each relationship that was not only interesting to read, but also relevant to me as a reader.

“Hush, Hush,” is definitely a book that I would recommend that everyone reads because once you start it, it will be almost impossible to put down. The next book in the series is “Crescendo” which continues right where Nora and Patch left off.