2012 Boys Track Preview

[media id=167]

The Niles West boys track team has had consistent success over the past few years with 1st place ranks at state in the 4×1 and 4×2 relays two years ago and a 2nd place rank in the 4×1 last year.  With key departures from a few of their best events, some question if the team can keep that level of success.  NWN spoke with the track team’s head coach, Chris Vivone, to find out.

NWN: What do you think this year’s team is best at?

Vivone: We’re good on the distance side in the 800, and along with that I’m hoping for our throwers to do good.  We’ve got two really good seniors and I’m planning on them taking us far.

]NWN: What are some areas that you’re looking to improve in this year?

Vivone:  Jumps definitely are an area we’ve got to improve in.  We’ve gotta get more depth on our sprint team as well.

[singlepic id=3091 w=320 h=240 float=left]

NWN: What meet will be the most challenging for you this season?

Vivone: They’re all gonna be challenging.  Obviously the last three, conference, sectionals, and state will be the most.

NWN: You’ve had a lot of athletes leave due to graduation or transfer during the off season, who are you looking for to step up and fill their places?

Vivone: For us to be successful we’ve got Mike Wright and Jeremiah Jordan, they’ve gotta step up and I believe they will.  Jake Glotzer and Anthony Underwood are a couple of new guys who should help us too.

NWN: What are you looking to accomplish this season?

Vivone: Well, our first two goals are to win conference and win sectionals and also to place a lot of guys down state, which means finishes in the top 15.

NWN: What’s going to let you accomplish these?

Vivone: Well, we’ve got a really talented senior class and that’s what you need to have.  Our seniors have won a lot and that helps a ton.