Relay for Life to Kick Off Friday

The annual Relay for Life kick-off party, an attempt to get more students involved in Relay for Life, is scheduled to take place on Friday, Feb. 3 at 3:30 in the Oakton Lobby.

Relay for Life is an organization that works to raise money for the American Cancer Society. At the kick-off, there are discussions regarding why it’s important to certain individuals, different videos are presented, and food for those who attend. Also, the annual pie in the face contest takes place, where students get to pie teachers.

“The purpose of Relay for Life is to raise money for the American Cancer Society to fight back against cancer,” said Relay for Life sponsor Richard Costante.

The outcome of how many students attend the kick-off varies every year, said Costante.

“It’s usually a substantial amount. It depends on which teachers are getting pied in the face that year,” Costante said.

Students can register to fund-raise throughout the year in teams, or in some cases individually. They set a goal to meet with their fund-raising, and if exceeded, different prizes can be retrieved by the participant. All proceeds are donated to the organization.

At the end of the year, those who participated gather for the annual relay, in which they camp out all night long and continue supporting the cause. Relay for Life at Niles West is scheduled for June 8, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. This is the sixth year that the event is taking place at Niles West.