Homeroom Hopping: Get Used to the Hallway Sweeps

Sophomore Alyssa Guzman on homeroom attendance

The bell has just rang announcing the end of 3rd period, and it’s time to go to homeroom. I walk into my designated classroom, and I don’t even think twice when I take my regular seat in between sophomores Taylor Hoffman and Luke Williams. Seeing boys in my all girls homeroom is no surprise, since it’s been happening since late freshman year. “I never go to homeroom, and I never get a cut slip,” says Williams.

Bob Vujovich, head of the attendance office, says that he gets at least 100 cut slips for homeroom alone every day. Sharon Swanson, English teacher, says that when she takes attendance and mark people absent, there is no follow up.

Well, with more than 100 cut slips every day, and roughly 2,700 students, it may prove to be a difficult task to track down all of the homeroom hoppers, and properly issue reasonable consequences. “What I wish is that we would switch homeroom from every day, to once a week for 15 minutes to receive all of the necessary information,” Vujovich says.

Students who choose not to utilize the time will be facing new consequences. Assistant principal Kendall Griffen was on the video announcements on Tuesday, Feb. 14 stating that the students roaming the halls during homeroom has been increasing; therefore, the administration is cracking down on attendance in homeroom.

“In an attempt to get students into their homerooms we will continue the homeroom sweeps. Homeroom is a very important part of your schedule, and should be treated as any other part of your schedule,” he said.

Although students don’t take homeroom seriously, both sides of the spectrum need to be considered. If we were to eliminate homeroom from happening every day, and lean towards Vujovich’s suggestion of 15 minutes once a week just to receive the occasional valuable information, what would we do about the students who have homeroom lunch?

Sophomore Randy Tran wants to keep homeroom effective simply because he enjoys the brief break in the day.

With all of the announcements and other reminders that we receive in homeroom, one would think that students nearing graduation would attend homeroom to be sure not to miss out on any information involving the transition from high school to adulthood. On the contrary, it seems that with seniority comes a new found rebellion for the schedule.

“I haven’t been to homeroom in about three months, and I never get called down,” says senior Nermin Cantic.

Cantic claims that he doesn’t like to attend homeroom because it’s boring, and the gender barrier is also an issue.

Senior Ari Lazar agrees. “I’m already bored out of my mind in homeroom, we don’t need much of it.”

Although Niles West students may express disdain towards the all girls and all boys homerooms, principal Kaine Osburn believes that it is an essential part of the curriculum.

“Homeroom constitutes a regular daily point–for four years–through which a student can establish a contact with an adult in the building which is not related to grades or performance.  This is very important, especially for creating lasting relationships between students (homeroom community) and between students and adults,” he said.

Opening up to one another, and to our homeroom teacher, proves to be easier once the mindset of being cautious of what you say in front of the opposite sex is broken.

What students need to realize is that the purpose of homeroom is to receive important information regarding things such as standardized tests, graduation, and other logistical issues, but when no one shows up, homeroom hopping could prove to be an issue, especially when some homerooms have no more than five students in them, while others have an overload of 20 or more students, both male and female.

Being a high school student myself, I highly doubt that my peers are going to start taking homeroom seriously anytime soon, or at all for that matter. Homeroom is a place to relax for 10 minutes, and it can even serve as a brief study hall. All we have to do is utilize the time that is given to us.