Niles West’s Very Own Einsteins

Senior Feliz Angelov pictured with his presentation. Photo courtesy of Angelov.

Senior Felix Angelov  and junior Patrick Liscio were recently recognized for their outstanding contributions to math and science.

Angelov recently contributed to Intel’s science and engineering fair.  The contest hosted approximately 1,600 participants. Intel chose 300 people to be semifinalists, and Angelov was one of the four participants selected from Illinois. Angelov submitted a research paper on bacterial communication through the exchanging of signaling. He kept track of his data through a bacteria called luminisce, which are bacteria that glow whenever they communicate.

The science prodigy worked on designing a molecule to eliminate the sickness that allows bacteria to multiply, and his experiment was included in the microbiology branch of science, which is something that Angelov hopes to major in if he makes it into Northwestern University once he graduates.

Angelov got plenty of help from his freshman biology teacher, Ruth Gleicher, who was the one who suggested his participation in the competition, and college professors from Northwestern, Stanford, and Madison University.

“It wasn’t easy. Freshman and senior year, I didn’t get anywhere at all, but junior year, I came back and got 4th place in a junior – senior international science fair,” Angelov said.

After being a semi-finalist in the competition sponsored by Intel, Angelov won $1,000 to contribute to Niles West, and another $1,000 for his personal enjoyment.

Patrick Liscio

Liscio also competed in the math regionals and will be advancing to the State competition. He and senior Michael Nissan finished first in the region, and also got the 6th highest score in the state. Liscio also made it to the semi-final round of the U.S Physics Team. He is one of the 17 students selected from Illinois to take the three-hour physics exam in order to vie for his place in the top 24 students.

As far as the exam goes, Liscio is trying to keep realistic expectations for himself. “There is a lot of material on the test that we don’t cover in our physics classes, so I’m trying to learn as much as possible in the next few weeks. I’m not setting my expectations too high, at least for this year, but I hope to do well and maybe even make the next round of the competition next year,” he says.

Liscio has been preparing for about a week now and still has three more weeks to prepare before the actual competition in the end of March.