The Niles West Sports Podcast S2 Ep 14, Featuring Grace Zeintarski and Kitana Forsythe

2012 Boys’ Water Polo Preview

2012 Boys Water Polo Preview

In its third year of existence, the boys’ water polo team appears to be stronger than ever and on the right track to succeed at conference. The NWN had the chance to sit down with head coach John Przekota to talk about the team this year, their goals, and the schedule.

NWN: How is the team looking this year?

Przekota: The team is looking good. It’s our second year of being a varsity program. The boys worked really hard over the summer and we’re hoping that their effort will help our conference standings this year.

[media id=174]

NWN: How tough does the schedule look this year?

Przekota: The schedule is definitely tougher. In conference, we’re going against Glenbrook South and New Trier, which are both perennial state powers. We have added Stevenson and St. Pat’s to our schedule as well.

NWN: What are some of the team’s strengths and weaknesses?

Przekota: The strengths are the boys’ work ethic and their desire to improve. I wouldn’t necessarily say we have weaknesses, but the boys have to work on keeping their focus, even though they’re drowning.

NWN: What are some team and season goals?

Przekota: We would like to move up in conference and hopefully place in the top five. The same goes for sectionals, which we’d like to place fourth or fifth in. As always, we would love to be able to make it to state.

NWN: Who are the key contributors to the team this season?

Przekota: Seniors Ryan Miller  and Filip Zivkovic, juniors Max Romanelli and Andrew Mudreac, and sophomore Nick Opfer. Miller is going to be key to our offense and Opfer is our starting goalie for the season.

NWN: Realistically, how well do you think the team will do?

Przekota: It’s hard to say. It really depends on the guys. There’s a possibility that the boys will put Niles West on the map this year. The sky’s the limit.