Lady Wolves Win Third Straight Regional Title

After the game had ended, and the plaque had been handed to the winning team, and after the winning team had celebrated a little bit with its home fans, it was then time for the Lady Wolves to do something they’ve done three straight years: Cut down the net after their third straight Regional title win.

The Lady Wolves came out of the gates firing on all cylinders against Lincoln park Friday, Feb. 17, and eventually won 67-37, in what was the seniors final home game at West.

After a slow start against Taft in the Regional Semi’s a few days earlier, senior Jewell Loyd came out looking to prove a point early on. She scored 12 in the first quarter, and the team was up 17-6 after one quarter.

Senior Liz Troyk, the star of the Regional Semi’s, hit a big three from the wing, Loyd added another nine, and with sophomore Dashae Shumate‘s eight in the half, West went into the break up 40-15.

With most of the starters sitting the second half, junior Molly Kleppin stepped up and showed what she could do. She hit two back to back demoralizing jumpers that basically put the game away for the Lady Wolves.

West was up 61-19 at the end of the third, and eventually coasted through an ugly fourth quarter to emerge with the 67-37 win.