Orchesis Dance Company to Present “Fierce”

The Niles West Orchesis Dance Company is presenting their annual show Thursday, March 8 at 7:30 p.m. through Saturday, March 10 at 7:30 p.m in the Robert L. Johnson Auditorium.

“Im ready for this show to start because every year is different, but this year there is something unique in this show that people never have seen before,” said senior officer Casey Mahoney-Muno.

The show, titled “Fierce,” will feature variety of styles for the dances varying from tap, jazz, to hip- hop and contemporary. The dances have been choreographed by members of the company and six other professional choreographers who are members of Lehrer Dance, Groove Productions, and  Puzzle League Dance. The company has been learning dances and preparing for the show since the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year.

“I am excited for this year’s show. It’s different from the years before and there is an edgy attitude that we will show to the crowd,” Mahoney-Muno said.

Each member of the company takes the time to choreograph a dance on their own and later teach it to the entire group. Choreographing and teaching a dance might seem like a piece of cake, but it actually takes a lot of time, patience, and creativity.

“This may seem strange, but I’m excited about exhausting myself from being in many pieces that are back to back. It’s a way for me to test my stamina,” said senior officer Mary Vo. Vo transferred to Niles West in order to join Orchesis Dance Company and says ” I will miss every aspect about Orchesis [when I graduate].”

The group consists of 12 females and five males, and it is led by officers Mary Vo and Casey Mahoney- Muno, both seniors.

The company’s members are seniors Mary Vo, Randy Tran, Keenan Morales, and Casey Mahoney-Muno ;  juniors  Kayla Simon,Froilan Usman, Alison Check, Evangeline Alpogianis, Dylan Lanoff, Wesley Uy, Stephanie Williams, and Amy Williams; sophomores Isabel Ramirez,Karolina Orynczak, Emily Topp, and Marie Claire, and freshmen  Nadiya Choi and Adrianna Daskalopoulous.

The tickets will be on sale for $10 at the door. Showtimes are 7:30 pm on Thursday, March 8, Friday, March 9, and Saturday, March 10. A free community performance will be held Thursday, March 8 at 10 am.

The company practices every Wednesday and Friday from 3:45 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:30 am.- 12:00 p.m. It is directed by Varsity Poms coach Christine Selander and Physical Education teacher Mindy Armour.