Has School Become Too Revolved Around Technology?

Jackie Povitsky on technology.

With Netbooks being distributed to freshmen for the past two years and iPads being given to sixth graders at Lincoln Hall, I am left with one question: has school become too revolved around technology?

When I walk down the halls of West I see electronics everywhere. From freshmen and sophomores walking with their Netbooks open, headphones plugged in, to juniors and seniors looking down at their phones, only glancing up every couple of seconds. By next year, the seniors will be the only class of students without Netbooks. This means that school is only going to become more technology oriented; pretty soon the classic pen and pencil will be forever replaced by a keyboard and computer monitor.

Up until this year, I wasn’t on the computer much for school. The only reasons I had to be on the computer was to check my grades or to write papers. Now, I find myself constantly checking my e-mail for updates from my teachers. If I’m not checking my e-mail, I’m checking my teachers’ web pages to find out my homework or to find out when things are due. In some ways, this makes things much easier for the students that are plagued with disorganization. For the organized students like me, being on the computer is something that we’re all going to have to get used to; they aren’t going away any time soon.

When asked about the increase in computer usage for school, junior Abigail Wolf answered, “I have mixed feelings about it. I sometimes find myself getting distracted when I’m on the computer, but it helps me get things done so much faster.”

Freshman Kelly O’ Connor said, “I don’t know what high school is like without a Netbook. Sometimes the internet is slow because of all the people using it, other than that I have no complaints. I have everything all in one place and that works perfectly fine for me.”

With all the advancements in technology, being on the computer is something we all have to embrace. It makes student’s lives a lot easier and saves some trees in the process.