Love in High School

Question: Is it possible to fall in love in high school?

In my opinion, the answer to the question depends on the person. It’s possible that someone you meet in high school could end up as your spouse or as some might say, your soul mate.  On the other hand, you might just be falling in love with the idea of love.

Some of you are lucky enough to meet someone in your four years of high school that as the fairy tales claim “completes you.” They would be the one whose personality is compatible to yours in a way that makes you so happy that simply seeing their name flash across your phone can make your day, but also in a deeper sense.  They become a part of who you are by making you into the best version of yourself without changing who you truly are.  Some of you will be fortunate enough to find that love even if it isn’t for life but instead only a few months or a couple short years.

Some of you, on the other hand, are simply infatuated with the idea of love. You might believe you’re in love, but maybe it’s just a puppy love or an insignificant crush on someone who you won’t even remember six years from now let alone six months or six weeks.  As Edward Cullen says in New Moon, “Don’t worry. You’re human—your memory is no more than a sieve. Time heals all wounds for your kind.”  Of course no one is going to admit this now as you sit reading this in your study hall or just because you’re bored, but maybe in a few months as you think how “that guy wasn’t worth my time” or “I can’t believe what that girl said” maybe you’ll admit that maybe it wasn’t true love.  Maybe it was a teenage crush that you wanted to be your “soul mate,” and just maybe you’ll realize that you didn’t love that guy or that girl, but you really just loved the idea of being in love.

So the best answer I can give you is that it depends on the person because there’s no set age that it’s possible to fall in love.  You have to be sixteen to get your license.  You have to be eighteen to vote.  You have to be twenty-one to consume alcohol, but how old do you have to be to fall in love? That’s really up to you.

Comment below to share your experience or your opinion.