Annual Pasta ‘n Pops Concert to Honor Retiring Band Director

[singlepic id=3369 w=150 h=150 float=left]Niles West’s 31st annual Pasta ‘n Pops concert is going to be held on Saturday, May 12 in the Contest Gym. This year’s concert will be dedicated to band director Bill Koch, who is retiring at the end of the school year. Pasta ‘n Pops is planned to run from 6pm to 9pm.

The concert includes the entire band, orchestra, and choir departments altogether. Students are graded on their participation in the concert, since it is a part of their classroom requirements.

“It is a great celebration of music at Niles West, in that it includes the entire band, orchestra, and choir departments on one concert. I really enjoy the concert because it brings together the entire bands, choirs, and orchestras together,” said Steven Katz, the orchestra director.

Freshmen percussionists Zach Hiyama and Shayne Snyder agree with Katz.

“I’m super stoked to play in Pasta ‘n Pops this year. The whole reason why I became a percussionist was to perform in the annual Pasta ‘n Pops!” said Snyder.

There was a recurring theme of feeling united with the other fine arts departments.

“The idea of being able to play for people along with Pop ‘n Rock, the Jazz Band, and the orchestra and choir is probably my favorite part of the whole experience,” said Hiyama.

Senior Anna Ploszynski concurs.

“First of all, it’s the last concert of the year. Although it’s not really a formal concert, it’s the most fun. Everyone comes, there’s dinner and sweets, and I love how all the fine arts perform together,” said Ploszynski.

This year’s concert will be dedicated to band director Bill Koch, who is retiring at the end of the school year.

Most of the music that is performed is from the more popular genre, rather than  strict classical music. This year, the orchestra is performing select music from the movie Enchanted, music from the broadway musical Wicked, and will also perform “Colors of the Wind” from Disney’s Pocahontas.