Q&A with the Homecoming King and Queen

Congratulations to seniors Ryan Marohn and Nicole Moy for winning Homecoming King and Queen! Both had a lot to say about this great opportunity.

NWN: Well, of course, how did it feel to win?

Ryan: It feels amazing to win, especially when I’m up against amazing guys like Sal, Flatley, Mike,  Elliott and Ramsan, It’s such a rewarding feeling and experience.

Nicole: Winning was so exciting..I just can’t sum it up into words. It’s so awesome to have this opportunity.

NWN: Is it hard wearing the crown/tiara and sash all day?

Ryan: Yeah it’s hard! With my long hair, I get some crazy hat hair by the end of the day. Also the cape was so hard to keep on! It fell right off during coronation in front of the whole school!

Nicole: I guess, especially when you’re dressed up as a jock (Jock vs. Nerds day), you can’t exactly rock a tiara and sweatband, but I wear the sash, and carry the tiara around, so everyone notices anyways.

NWN: What are you looking most forward to for Homecoming?

Ryan: I’m looking forward to busting a move at the dance and the assembly with my buddies in Breakbeats, and just wait ’till you see the DM video we made! It’s going to be so rad!

Nicole: I like this whole spirit week. How everyone participates, and they show off their school spirit. I’m excited that this is my last homecoming, but I’m also sad too.

If you could be any faculty member in the school, who would you be and why?

Ryan: Wow that’s a hard one! Umm, I would be Mr. Osburn because then I wouldn’t get in trouble for riding a skateboard down the hallways like I always do, and he’s a pretty cool dude.

Nicole: Uhh, I’d like to be Ms. Ogulnik, just because she has such a fun job and I’d like to ride around on my roller blades every day.

What is your favorite part of Niles West? And what will you miss when you leave?

Ryan: I love Niles West after school. If you didn’t know I am in almost every club and activity at Niles West. Look in the yearbook, and you’ll see some tall blonde dude, me, in almost every club pic. It’s kind of like playing Where’s Waldo? All the clubs and activities are very open and welcoming to all students, and I just love the diversity I see in each club. I’ll miss all the after-school activities and all the staff/students that are involved in something, anything after school.

Nicole: Um, I’m going to compare West to one of my favorite movies, High School Musical! I like that we are not like them. That we do not have a “status quo” and we don’t have to stick to that, and all the “jocks” hang out with the “nerds” and they hang out with the “thespians” and everyone just gets along so well. I don’t like that we don’t sing though..I wish we could sing in the hallways. And I’m going to miss all the people here, who we know and see every day. I think in college, people don’t know everyone and see each other every day. In high school, you can see them in the hallways every day and say hi, where as in college, you might not know who people are.

Where are you going to college?

Ryan: My top choice is University of Illinois, but you never know. California and Colorado are looking pretty fun…

Nicole: I don’t yet, I’m still in the application process. I really want to go to California, but we’ll see about that.