Unofficial Senior Spirit Week Sparks Controversy

Last week’s “Unofficial Senior Spirit Week” came to a halt Thursday, April 19 after school officials instructed students to take off Native American costumes that they deemed offensive.

After several seniors wore headdresses, feathers, and other Native American costumes during “Cowboys vs. Indians,” principal Kaine Osburn made an announcement at the beginning of 6th period regarding the unintentional disrespect of some of these outfits. He asked seniors to remove such costumes.

Some members of the senior class disagreed, however, with the reasoning of his statement but took off the pieces off anyway.

“I could see why, at first, they would be concerned but I didn’t see how we were wearing the headdresses in a mocking manner,” said senior Eve Mason, who was one of the few wearing an Indian headdress. “If anything, it’s celebrating their culture. It was all for fun spirit, and the school freaked out.”

Social studies teacher Matt Weatherington explained why such costumes are offensive from a historical perspective.

“I think we have allowed controversy to seep in where, in my mind, there is none,” he said.  “The question about whether or not images of Native Americans, mascots, or dressing like ‘Indians’ is controversial should be left to Native Americans.  Native Americans have weighed-in on this issue — those images are inaccurate and are considered racist.  In previous decades, the practice of Caucasian actors wearing black face to play the role of an African American was commonplace.  There is no doubt that white actors in black face is considered racist today.  I consider the misrepresentation of Native Americans in this same vein.”

Friday morning, another clear and precise announcement was made by assistant principal Kendall Griffin regarding “Sunglasses Day.” Griffin said seniors would be allowed to wear sunglasses in the hallways but not during class.

Again some seniors felt these restrictions were unnecessary and dramatic. Walking in the hallways, you could hear students say, “What’s the big deal,” or “C’mon. They’re sunglasses.”

“I mean, they didn’t have to be so serious about it,” said seniors Janet Iqal and Lexi Leftakes. “At first, I thought someone had died, because it sounded so serious, but then it was about the spirit clothes and it seemed  funny how big of a deal they had made it.”

Dean Mark Rigby explained why the school got involved.

“As for the sunglasses, you know, we’re not against having fun, but this is an educational environment and if a kid is wearing sunglasses in class they could be sleeping or not paying attention. It’s just easier to take them off during class,” he said. “And for the headdresses, I mean,  it’s the same reason why we changed our mascot 10 years ago.”

The Unofficial Senior Spirit Week began with “Nerd Day,” “Fav Duo/Trio Day,” and “Superhero Day.” Seniors created the themes via a Facebook page.