Freshman Orientation Eases Transition

During the summer, Niles West would be the last place you would expect to find dozens of students gathered together as early as 6:30 am. However, on Thursday, Aug., Niles West welcomed its incoming freshmen with open arms by recruiting dozens of upperclassmen to lead them in a day full of fun, encouragement, and team building. If one were to walk into the school early that morning, they would find students making posters, window painting, and shouting out encouraging messages to freshmen as they walked through the hall of honor.

Upperclassmen would remember their freshmen orientation lasting only a few hours with two things on the agenda: a brief lecture given by Principal Kaine Osburn, and book pick up. Last year, however, administration decided to make a change.

Freshmen orientation is now an all day event led by freshmen mentors that consist of sophomores, juniors, and seniors that have been chosen to be a leader to the freshmen for their first year at West.

After finding out about a program called Ignition, Counselor Ann Alegnani organized the new approach to freshmen orientation along with fellow counselor Ms. Kracht, and social worker Jacalyn Lipka.

“We wanted to change [freshmen orientation] to be more interactive with lots of high energy. We wanted it to be driven by the mentors, rather than have adults talk at the freshmen. It’s meant to be an experiential day,” said Alegneni.

This year was the school’s second year of using ignition, and its primary goal is to make the freshmen “feel welcome, and to reduce anxiety for the first day of school,” according to Alegneni.

Freshman Brittany Clark was satisfied with her experience, and believes that the orientation day really did calm her nerves. Like most freshmen, Clark admits that she was, at first intimidated by Niles West because of its size and student body. “I was kind of scared of not knowing anybody,” she admits.

After the long hours of team building games, however, Clark was reassured and felt more relaxed about attending school just a few days later.

“After today, I feel more confident,” she said. “The activities [that we did] give you a feeling on how everyone acts and their personalities. [I was intimidated by the upperclassmen] but after today, I realized that [the upperclassmen] were in my position a couple yeas ago, and if [the mentors] can talk to me, then other people can, too.”

Not only did Clark benefit from orientation, but she also said that it made her “feel comfortable in her own skin.” Filled with newfound confidence, Clark hopes to be a member of the Niles West News, as well as try out for track and field and join the sign language club.

Though freshmen orientation helped Clark feel more comfortable, some students, such as freshmen Dylan Fleites were already prepared for four years at West. “I didn’t feel awkward, because I’m comfortable with myself… I have three older brothers, so I’ve always been confident,” he said.

Attending Queen of All Saints for middle school, Fleites admits to not knowing many people from neighboring schools, but usually spends time with students from Lincoln Hall. He looks forward to meeting new people during his first year at West through joining football, wrestling, and track and field.

Freshmen orientation seemed to be an overall positive experience for the freshmen, of course, but it was also beneficial for the upperclassmen who mentored the freshmen. Junior Karolina Orynczak agreed to participate because she wanted to help the freshmen feel more comfortable. “I was a freshmen once, so I know how it feels,” she said.

Not only did mentors get a chance to mentor the freshmen, ;sad them through games, and give them a tour of the school, but they also managed to bond with each other.

“[My group and I] bonded really well,” Orynczak remembered. “They’re like miniature versions of me; we talked about all kinds of stuff.”

The relationship that Orynczak formed with her group of freshmen girls is one of the main goals of the ignition program.

“We really wanted to develop a strong connection with the freshmen and the mentors,” said Alegneni.