Football Team Secures Victory Over Westinghouse

With the rampant humidity and 90 degree temperatures polluting Basrak Field last Friday, it certainly didn’t feel like football season, yet still, the 2012 Niles West football team took to the grid iron for the first time under the lights last Friday against Westinghouse, winning 12-28.  This marks the team’s second straight win against Westinghouse in their season opener, but that’s not to say they didn’t provide a challenge.

Westinghouse struck first during the first quarter, tiring the defense with a long, drawn out drive to go up 6-0 (they went for two and failed).  They showed how they weren’t afraid to push the Wolves’ defense to the limit, going for it on fourth down three times in the first quarter alone.

To start the game, Niles West had sophomore Tommy Galanopoulos and senior Mike McGivern sharing reps at quarterback.

After getting off to a slow start, Niles West began to find its stride.  Following a 50-yard punt return by junior Nick Johnson, a 48-yard touchdown run by senior Anthony Underwood, and a touchdown pass from senior Mike McGivern to senior Jeremiah Jordan, the Wolves never looked back.

While the Wolves found great success, Westinghouse continued to stumble, fumbling twice within their own 30-yard-line during the second half.  Later, the Wolves scored as a result of one of these fumbles, with McGivern connecting to junior Andrew Mihulet.

If there was one thing that the Wolves could have improved on, it would be their slew of penalties.  There were a number of flags thrown against West, ranging from false starts to pass interference.

Still, overall, the Wolves were happy with their opening game performance.

“We trained all summer for this game, and we showed it on the field.  Of course there were a few technical issues, but effort wasn’t a problem.  This game has set the tone for the rest of our season, and I’m super excited,” said McGivern.