“Kiss Our C14ss”=Not Very Classy

Junior Breana Brill on the hallway decorations.

Two days ago, the class of 2014 was in the lead to win the infamous hallway decorating contest. And the one year the 2014 class comes together and “gets things done,” we get in second place.

A lot of confusion has happened over the past two days about these results. Almost everyone thought we got disqualified over a poster with the saying “Kiss my C14ss.”

“The juniors were not disqualified, we came in second place,” said junior class president Jessie Amga. “Unfortunately, due to incorrect information, a huge backlash over ‘disqualification’ came up. I want to make it clear that the sophomores won the race and Juniors came 2nd.”

Lets be honest, every once in awhile when people get angry, we tend to unfairly blame others. But in the midst of this confusion, people in our grade immediately thought it “productive” to blame our class president, Jessie. The things that were said in the unofficial 2014 Facebook group were sort of… ridiculous.

“As a leader, I have to be ready to confront any issue and criticism,” Amga said. “I just want to make it clear that the junior class has to stick together to achieve anything and we can’t dwindle on the past if we want success.”

Two years ago, I wrote a story about the craziness happening on the website “Flirt Locker.” It really disappoints me to see such immaturity coming from our class. I understand that everyone is still young and has a lot of room to grow, but as juniors, I would think everyone would understand the effects of cyber-bullying.

Scroll down the Facebook group and all you see is insults toward Jessie, including recommendations for others to become president, like junior Saleh Siddique.

“Part of it was my fault,” said Siddique. “I thought I heard we were disqualified. It’s understandable that a lot of students worked for 10 hours on the hall and that they were outraged. But it was a bogus thing to do…. Jessie was called out publicly by students.”

If you don’t remember, you clearly voted for Jessie in the beginning of the year and for a good reason, too. But how can you all blame her for something she basically had no control over. As a class, we all need to take blame for putting an inappropriate poster up, that could have basically jeopardize our ability to take place in the contest.

Maybe next time, we should use our judgement and if you don’t know if “a**” is appropriate to put on a poster, don’t use it. Any doubts probably means it’s not appropriate.

Another junior, Yassir Dasser, witnessed and took part in the “Facebook drama.”

“The first step is to apologize to Jessie for the disrespect,” Dasser said. “She was really on our side the whole time.”

When I think of our grade, I want to think of a grade that’s close, loving and accepting. But as of right now, we’re falling into two sections. The first section is the one who cares about our school and will do a lot of activities to promote the class of 2014, as in decorating hallways, and making sure the class of 2014 is represented in the best way. And the second section is those who don’t take place in these activities, yet they criticize the way they are done.

Honestly, I wish we could all come together and abolish those sections, but that means as a class we have to make a huge step toward becoming more mature. Whether or not we take that step is up to the way we treat and respect each other.

I know it’s been awhile since we have been in middle school, but I’m sure you all remember the Golden Rule: “Treat others the way you want to be treated.” And I think that if we all follow this rule for the last two years of our high school careers, we can all easily get along and become the family of 2014.