Powder Puff 2012: More Than Just Confident

If Chicago’s unstable weather doesn’t stop any other of the sports from happening, then it doesn’t stop the Powder Puff 2012 girls from perfecting their skills for tomorrow’s game. Along side with football and soccer players, girls from all four grades meet up at the field outside the field-house and run through their drill; they jog, warm-up, and purely play the game.

“The sophomore and junior team practice is at 6:30 in the morning each day and, still, over 30 girls show up to practice every morning ready to play,” says coach and physics teacher  John  Metzler. ” That is exciting and it is easy to tell they are committed.”

A lot of you might think that girls playing football cannot compare to the adrenaline our wolves provide for us every day Friday night, but you can’t be more wrong. The girls have worked really hard for this game, and they are more than just entertaining. The girls think so, too. All of them have joined the teams to have fun and entertain Niles West. They are more than ready to compete tomorrow at the Basrak Stadium at 3:00 p.m.

“I’ve done Powder Puff all four [of my high school years], and it’s been more than fun,” says senior Selina Montero. “It’s a great way to spend your time and get the adrenaline flowing.”

While coach Metzler is in charge for the sophomore and junior girls, Paul Bellwoar coaches the freshmen and seniors, and they are both proud of their teams.

“The girls are a lot of fun to teach and they ask a lot of questions when they are confused,” says Metzler. “As far as their talent level and ability, well, I guess everyone will just have to come out and watch.”

The teams themselves do not hide their confidence, though.

“I don’t care what people think. The seniors [and freshmen] are going to win,” says senior Mary Mando. “We’ve practiced so hard, and we have more fun, so they’s no way we’re not going to win.”

“Seniors [and freshmen] better take a step back, because we’re winning this thing,” says junior Maria Sarantopoulos.