Q & A with Chinese Exchange Students

Taizhou+students+and+their+hosts+
Taizhou students and their hosts

Niles West welcomed nine students and two teachers from Hongjia High School in Taizhou, China on Oct. 1, as part of D219’s first Chinese exchange program. These students stayed with host families from Niles West and Niles North. The NWN sat down with three exchange students, Ellen, Ella, and Charlie, who stayed with senior Adam Thai, and juniors Beata Soltys and Kyle Kent, to talk to them about their experience in America so far.

NWN: What do you think of our school? What is different?

Ellen: You don’t have to wear uniforms. Also, everyone here is from different places around the world. There’s also less homework [here] and you’re allowed to eat things during class. You also have more diversity.

Ella: [I like] the PE class because there’s a lot of things to do. Here, you guys are allowed to date and hold hands in school. Also, the things you learn in math class are what we learn in junior high at our school. The music classes here are also very intimidating because there are so many instruments and, in China, we don’t have music classes.

Charlie: You guys have more advanced technology.

NWN: What are you looking forward to during your stay in America?

Ellen: I’m looking forward to trying all the different food.

Ella: The handsome boys. All the boys in China are too feminine for me.

Charlie: The beautiful girls here.

NWN: What do you like and dislike about the American culture you’ve been exposed to?

Ellen: I dislike the food here because everything is cold and sour. I like that the culture is very open and people are very nice to each other.

Ella: The salads are too salty and sour. The fast food doesn’t taste good either. I really like the country and rock music.

Charlie: I don’t dislike anything here. I love it here! I mostly like how [there is more] creativity here. I also like the Apple products and designs.

NWN: How are your hosts’ homes different from your home in China?

Ellen: They’re the same. For me, I don’t live with my parents and my host lives with theirs.

Ella: Every morning, my host’s mom gives me a hug and a kiss.

Charlie: The meals are different.

NWN: If you couldn’t return to China, do you think you would like living here?

Ellen: I think I could stay here, but I’d try my best not to live here.

Ella: Yes, because the living conditions are better here. People in China don’t protect the environment and here in America everyone cares about trees and nature.

Charlie: I’d love to stay here!

NWN: What have you learned so far from your experience here?

Ellen: To be nicer to each other.

Ella: To love and appreciate my family more.

Charlie: How to take care of the environment more.

The exchange students departed from Skokie on Oct. 5 to explore downtown Chicago and continue their visit in New York. As part of this exchange, District 219 Chinese students will be going to China where they will visit Taizhou, Shanghai, and Beijing from June 8 to June 19. More information on the Chinese exchange program can be found at: https://sites.google.com/a/d219.org/chinatrip2011/