Meet the New Teachers!

Niles West has hired several new teachers. Scroll down to learn a little bit about them!

John Przekota

What classes do you teach?
I work in the social studies [department] and I teach global studies and ALCUSH intro-U.S. history.  I am also the head boys’ water polo coach.

Was teaching always something you wanted to do?
Yes, both my parents are teachers, and at a very young age I could see how rewarding the job was. I also have had teachers that have made a tremendous impact on my life, and I would love to be able to impact my students in lasting positive ways.

Have you taught anywhere else before you came to Niles West?
Yes, seven years at St. Patrick High School in Chicago and one year each at Steinmetz and Senn in CPS.

What makes Niles West different from those other places?
The community support is great.  The parents, students, school board, administration, and fellow teachers and coaches all do a great job of creating an atmosphere for students to feel safe, take chances, reach their full potential, and begin to figure out who they are.  It’s really a fantastic place to be. 

What made you decide that Niles West was a place you wanted to work?

The tremendous community support, the diverse student body, and the quality of the student.

Where are you originally from?
Chicago, IL.  St. Pat’s for high school, Iona college for BS, masters degrees from North Park and Concordia.

What is a random hobby that not too many people know about?
Surprisingly (being the water polo coach) I am all things aquatic. Outside of swimming and water polo, I love skimboarding and sneak down to the lake to do it every once in a while on wavy days.

What should Niles West students know specifically about you?
High school is one of the best times of your life, work hard, get involved and enjoy.  I will do whatever I can to help you along the way. I love working with high school students and being part of the school community.  I have an interesting sense of humor and am the oldest of six boys.  All of us were swimmers and water polo players. I am married and have two sons who love sports and being around NW, so you will probably see me at a game or two [with] them. Don’t be afraid to say hello.

Tasha Nemo
What classes do you teach?
I am a traveling teacher, so I teach sophomore English and college prep at Niles North and senior English and college prep at Niles West.

Teaching is my second career.  After I graduated from college, I worked in corporate America for a year at Brunswick in the Human Resources department.  After a year, my high school soccer coach asked me if I would like to be his assistant coach and I had to make a decision between coaching and working at Brunswick.  I chose coaching.  I quit Brunswick and began working as a substitute teacher at ETHS.  I went back to school to get my masters in teaching secondary education English.  I love the decision I made.

I taught eighth grade reading and language arts in Rogers Park at Field Elementary School for a year.  I taught for two years at Chute Middle School in Evanston.

The atmosphere at Niles West and North are very inviting and positive.  The staff at both schools have been extremely helpful and welcoming.  The students are great.  I love interacting with this age group.

Niles West is a great school, with great teachers and students.  Niles [Township] is a great school district that’s highly recognized in Illinois. I’d be crazy not to work here.  I feel very supported by my colleagues and administrators.  I know this is a great place for me to grow as a teacher.  I am grateful for the opportunity to teach here.

Where are you originally from?
I was born and raised in Evanston, IL.  I went to Evanston Township High School.  I played basketball and soccer at ETHS.  I went to Elmhurst College and double majored in English and communications and played soccer.

My hobbies aren’t really random, but I like to read and write poetry.  I have a two-year-old son, so I do whatever he wants: play basketball, soccer, football, color, read, etc.

I value education and literacy.  [It is] essential to personal growth.  I love people and want to help everyone succeed in anyway I can.  I love sports!  I’m a huge tomboy and very competitive.  I am enjoying my time at Niles West and North.

Maria Lollino
What classes do you teach?
Culinary Classes: this semester I am teaching Chefs.

No, but cooking was always something I wanted to do.  I was in sales for two years and then decided it wasn’t for me, so it was either go to culinary school or go back and get my certification to teach culinary. I love high school students, I can relate to them and they have special place in my heart, so I decided to go back to school and teach high school students culinary and the importance of it in everyday life!

I was a paraprofessional at Forest View Alternative School last spring.

What makes Niles West different from those places?

Niles West is not only diverse but the students here are alive, they bring so much to the classroom each in their own individual way that they make teaching that much more exciting.  Also, the staff here is outstanding, every staff member here respects one another and I felt welcomed right away which make my work environment a joy!

I always knew their AS & T department was awesome and that Niles West is one of the best districts to work in because of the support and collaboration of faculty members.  Also, the strong unity of the teacher’s and support staff unions.

Where are you originally from?

Mount Prospect, IL.

What is a random hobby that not too many people know about

Everyone is pretty aware of my hobbies …I love to cook, but I do have a secret obsession with cookbooks.  I collect them!

That cooking, nutrition, and wellness are my passions and I live by what I teach. I believe students will see these passions show through in my teaching if they take my courses!

Jessica Madigan
What classes do you teach?
Algebra 32-42 and Geometry 12-22

At my kindergarten graduation I told everyone that when I grew up I wanted to be a movie star.  That dream faded quickly.  When I started tutoring at the Point (Yes I am a 2007 Niles North graduate) and tutoring my little brother at home my junior year of high school, I began to realize my love for teaching and helping people.  From then on, I knew I wanted to teach.  I may only be 23 years old, but I believe teaching is what I’ll be doing for 40+ more years (Woah that’s a long time!).

Yes. I taught at Kankakee High School for one year before coming to Niles West.

I think every high school is a little different from others.  To me, what stands out about Niles West are the high expectations and the sense of community.  Every student, faculty member, and staff member want everyone else to be their very best.  It is rewarding and encouraging to work in this environment.  In these first eight weeks, I think I have grown more as a teacher and a person than I have in a long while.

I wanted to work at Niles West because as a Niles North graduate I knew the accepting culture, positive climate, and intense rigor that is expected here.  I knew I would grow as a teacher and a person if I was fortunate enough to be hired here.

Where are you originally from?
Skokie, IL!

I love weddings!  I’ve been in the bridal party for three weddings in the past year (two in which I was the Maid of Honor) and cried at all three of them.

I genuinely love teaching.

Michael Grossman
What classes do you teach?
I currently teach CIC and IIC at Niles West.

Teaching was a second career choice.  I had always wanted to work [or] help other people and after working in geriatrics for two years, I decided to go into teaching and [having an influence on] a younger generation.

Before working in District 219, I worked at Haven Middle School in Evanston in 2009.  After a year in district 65 I began to work at Niles Central High School.

Niles West in an amazing environment. This school is very rich in culture and language, it really gives the people who come here everyday exposure to something that is not in many other schools in this area.

If this is your first teaching job, how is it going so far?
So far so good. The staff and students at Niles West are pretty amazing.

As an Alumni of Niles West, it was very hard to find a school that would compete with the level of excellence and dedication that is provided to the student population and the community.  Niles West has always felt like home and I am happy to be back.

Where are you originally from?
Lincolnwood, IL (Onward Jaguars!!!)

I compete in CrossFit.

Daniel Larrabee
What classes do you teach?
Trig/Pre-calculus and Geometry

No.  I wanted to be a pediatrician.

Yes.  I have worked at numerous places.  I taught one year in CPS, two years at Gemini Junior High, and most recently two years at Adlai E. Stevenson High School.  This year marks my 6th year of teaching mathematics.

From my experience thus far, I see many commonalities from my prior schools.  However, I feel that Niles West is more of a mold of all of my experiences in my prior schools molded into one.  With the demand for excellence, a plethora of opportunities for students to become involved in their school and community, and an amazing multicultural atmosphere that makes Niles West so special and different than any other place I have been employed.

1.  The diversity of the students and staff.  I feel that everyone develops a better understanding of the world around us when we are engulfed in a diverse and multicultural community.
2.  The commitment to excellence on behalf of the staff and administration.

Where are you originally from?
The Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Rapid River, MI.)

I like to ice fish.

I have never slept in my life.  All I do is math, math, and teach math.

Melanie Johnson

What classes do you teach?

Global Studies, Western Civilization

It was always something I considered doing, but was not always what I thought I would end up doing.  For awhile, I thought I was going to go to law school, but eventually realized that teaching and coaching was my passion.

Yeah, I taught for four years in Iowa at Iowa City West High School.

I was looking for a job in the Chicago area and Niles West is a good school with lots of great opportunities for students.

Where are you originally from?
I’m originally from Le Mars, IA.  I moved to Iowa City for college (University of Iowa) and then got a job in Iowa City after graduating.

I really like to cook.  I also like watching “House Hunters” on HGTV.

I’m also a debate coach.

Jason Stanford

What classes do you teach?
I teach Global Studies.

No, I graduated from college and I didn’t know what I wanted to do.  I was a police officer for a while.  Then I realized I wanted to help with high school age youth.

Have you taught anywhere else before Niles West?
Technically, my first teaching job was substituting at Maine West High School., but this is my official first teaching job.

Here there are more resources.  All of the students have a netbook too.   Almost everyone seems to be happy to be here.

I’m learning new stuff everyday.  My colleagues help me and the students seem pretty motivated to learn.

The school is very diverse.  You can learn from all of the other cultures represented in the school.

Where are you from originally?
I’m from the south suburbs of Chicago.  [More specifically,] Sauk Village.  I went to Marian Catholic High school.  I was in marching band there too. It was a good experience playing saxophone.

I’m not here for myself.  I’m literally here from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. for my students.  They should use me as at any opportunity.   I love tutoring too.  By putting that tutoring [atmosphere] into a class

Lauren Del Boccio
What classes do you teach?
I teach AP Psych. and ALCUSH.

No, I wanted to be a physician assistant and I realized psych. was my passion and what a better way to put it to use by teaching it to high school students.

I taught at Ridgewood High in Norwood, Illinois.  I did my student teaching there.

Since this is your first teaching job, how is it going so far?
[It’s] going well.  I enjoy going to work every morning.  [Even if] the kids have at best, little interest in the material.

First, [there was] an opening with psych.  [Having the opportunity to teach] AP helps the students get ready for college and makes them decide if they want to take the class in college.

Where are you originally from?
I am originally from Chicago, Illinois and I went to Resurrection High School.

[I am] in pursuit to compete for an Olympic lifting.  Clean and Jerk.

I am an advocate for them, if they have questions.  I’m not that far out [either.]  I graduated from Iowa in 2010.  I also coach basketball for the sophomores.

Chris Sykora

What classes do you teach?
I teach Art Foundations.

No, it’s something that I decided later in life.  I went back to school.  I was working as a retail manager and then in a roundabout way, I decided to go back to school.  I went to Northeastern for my teaching degree.

No, but I also teach at Deerfield High School.  I teach part time at both schools.

What makes Niles West different than Deerfield?
They are very similar in a lot of ways.  Both are known to be good schools.  Subtle shifts can change the role of the teacher though.  Niles West is very diverse.

Believe it or not, I wanted to work at [Niles West.]  It’s the best of all worlds.  There’s a different atmosphere here.  It’s more professional.  After student teaching here, I thought it was an ideal place to work.

Where are you originally from?
I am originally from Chicago (Jefferson Park.)  I did live in Kansas City for seven years, too.

I play a lot of hockey.  I also own a cafe.

I am a vegan.  I take the environment seriously.  I’m a hippie and I drive a Prius.