NHS Inducts 82 Members

NHS Inducts 82 Members

Eighty-two National Honor Society members were celebrated on Wednesday, Nov. 7, in the Niles West High auditorium at 7pm.

According Daniel Gin and Stephanie Lau, co-sponsors of NHS, a student must have a minmum of 6.0 weighted GPA, have participated in at least two activities each school year and have a facutly/ sponsor’s evaluation to be admitted to NHS.

Gin said the NHS Induction Ceremony is very important because of its affects on the members.

“It has a positive effect because students are being recognized for having good grades,” Gin said.

According to Gin, there are multiple things, other than grades, for which the members are recognized.

“Members are also being recognized for their leadership, character and service,” he said.

Senior member of NHS Rachael Kossy said she enjoys being a part of NHS and the ceremony.

“It is a great honor to be in NHS and it was nice to spend the day with my friends at the ceremony,” she said.

NHS president, senior Sheryl Cherian said she felt inspired yet sad after Wednesday night and after giving her speech.

“The ceremony instigated my first feelings of sadness–realization that I will miss this school terribly when I graduate this spring,” she wrote in an email. “I did not only speak to the members, though. Taking in our accomplishments also meant thanking those who got us to this level of success. The parents, teachers, and administration were the ones to thank. The oddest feeling of completion came through me as I was speaking; somehow, this night of recognition, a ceremonious lighting of National Honor Society candles, brought me closer to understanding what it means to be an adult. Niles West, as well as our families, allowed for our displayed leadership, service, scholarship and character. Still, these traits will not stop developing once we leave this school. The function of the National Honor Society, really, lies in potential, future achievement.”