Niles West to Host the Break for Books

In an effort to introduce books and avail them for a cheaper price to students, Niles West will host the semi-annual Break for Books in the IRC on Friday, Dec. 7.

Break for Books is an event carried out by head librarian Sherry Baehr and literacy coach Ellen Foley with the  School Improvement Literacy Subcommittee. All day long, juniors come in with their English teachers to take part in book talks, book sales,and a book raffle.

“This is a fun, engaging, and effective way to increase student reading. There are so many fantastic young adult books out there. Through Break for Books, we have been very successful at getting these books to our students,” Baehr said.

Baehr and Foley both believe this event was “very successful” because last year 510 students came and 310 books were sold.

They both also want to spread an interest for reading.

“In order to be stronger readers, students need practice reading.  They need to interact with a wide range of interesting, accessible texts so they can practice the skills they need to understand more difficult texts.  The more students read, the better they will read.  By being a better reader, students will not only improve their reading skills, but also their vocabulary, their writing, and their understanding of the world.  Oh yeah… and they need to know that reading can be fun!” Foley said.

Junior Asiya Fatima also believes that this event is a good way to get a chance to read.

“I think it’s good because everyone should get a chance to read. Some people can’t get books because it costs a lot, but this way everyone can get a book,”  Fatima said.