Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Google Chrome Webstore: Your Netbook’s iPhone

Google Chrome Webstore: Your Netbooks iPhone
Purva Chandel on Google Chrome Webstore.

Did you know your netbook has apps like an iPhone? On the netbooks, there is a program called the Google Chrome Webstore that has thousands of apps. Here are six useful apps you can download on your netbook:

1. Desmos Graphing Calculator: Graphing calculators are almost $100 and that money could be spent better elsewhere. This calculator can graph a variety of different types of functions. There is a special keyboard given to write equations with sine, tangent, cosine,etc. Graphs can also be saved for later use. Now you don’t have to worry about not having a calculator when you lose yours, or buying an expensive calculator freshman year.

2. Davitily Math Academy: Worried about that math test tomorrow but don’t know how to study? This app is a study tool for students who are taking Algebra, Geometry, ACT, or SAT to review math concepts with practice problems. This app also has video tutorials on some problems.

3. Pixlr Express: Need a way to jazz up the photos in you project? Use Pixlr Express, an easy to use but high-quality photo editor to give your pictures some more detail and effects. So the next time you have to make, say, a Powerpoint or a Photostory you can make your picture more interesting. It’s like Instagram on your netbook!

4. Flashcards: Make online flashcards to help review for the big History test. Flashcards will help you pull out the important information. A great feature to this app is that it is connected to Quizlet.com (another sources for flashcards) so you can find flashcards on almost anything you need.

5. We Video: Now you have no excuse to make a video for that English project. WeVideo is an easy and free video editor. To use this program you can use a video camera to get video footage, or you can borrow a Flipcam from the Help Desk, and upload the video onto WeVideo.

6. Angry Birds: The apps are just educational! This game’s popularity exploded when it came it and now you can play this on your netbook. This plus thousands of other games are available to play from the Webstore.

Like what you hear? Here’s instructions on how to get started!

Before you can get to the Webstore you will have to update your version of Google Chrome. This video will show how to properly download a newer version.

This video shows you how to access the Webstore. You have to update Google Chrome before you can download anything from the Webstore: (put video below)

When you open the webstore there is a sidebar that shows different categories and by clicking on them them you can find apps related to that category. To search for apps, type in the name of the app or a general keyword (ie. music) in the search bar above the list of categories. Once you click on an app, you can see screenshots of what the app looks like and there are also reviews by users who can give you a real opinion on the app. There is also a tab that says “related” which give suggestions for similar apps.

Just by searching a general topic such as “Math” can give you lots of results. So I really encourage everyone (students and staff) to check out the Chrome Webstore, it is great resource to find the things you need that will help you. If you have any questions or difficulties please come to the Help Desk (it’s right in front of the IRC) and any of the Tech Leaders or Mr. Furman can help you. If you need help finding something to do the job, we can work with you to find something.

On a side note, the app might not work perfectly the first time so if things aren’t running smoothly, close the app and reopen it.