Lauren Lee: Striking a Chord

[media id=251]

Flashback to Monday night: It’s 6:15 p.m., just 15 minutes before the symphonic orchestra is about to begin its second evening rehearsal for the winter concert. Sophomore Lauren Lee, the only harpist in the orchestra, wheels in her immense Lyon and Healy harp, drags off layers of protective casing and puts the cart in the corner.

Lauren, the rest of the orchestra, and orchestra director Steven Katz are practicing for the annual winter orchestra concert that took place Thursday, Dec. 13 in the Robert L. Johnson Auditorium.

=Her supportive mother soon follows in after her, carrying her stool. She sets the music stand at the appropriate level and quickly begins tuning the gargantuan instrument, which is a good foot taller than her. Tuning the harp is a long and tedious process, and for Lauren it’s a two person job. She is not tall enough to fine-tune the pegs on the upper half of the instrument all on her own, so she calls over someone taller to help her reach.

Before she begins playing, she kicks off her short chestnut Ugg boots and slips on her black ballet shoes, which give her a better grip of the pedals while she plays. The long process of setting up the harp is soon forgotten as Lauren takes her seat and begins to play the music of a thousand angels. All eyes are on Lauren once the first string is plucked.

If you look beyond the gigantic harp, there is more to Lauren Lee than meets the eye. Playing this unique instrument is only part of what this young musician hopes to accomplish in her life.

“I want to hopefully become an engineer and possibly get a scholarship in music,” Lee said.

Lauren’s dedication to her music is what makes her such a disciplined student.

“If there is one thing orchestra has taught me, it’s how to manage my time,” Lee said.

Lauren is also involved in Book Club, RIOT, and Engineering Club. She loves to ride horses and play soccer and golf. Given her already-busy schedule, finding time to practice is not always easy. Lauren designates twenty minutes every night to practice her music from orchestra and from her private teacher.

Lauren’s story began four years ago when she was in seventh grade.

“I was first inspired to play the harp when I saw it being played at my church. My mom signed me up for lessons.”

However, playing the harp is not as easy as Lauren makes it look. Commitment, responsibility and dedication are essential if one wishes to succeed with such a challenging instrument.

“Part of playing the harp is dealing with its size. It is a very unique instrument that’s fun to play, but it’s extremely heavy and not easy to transport,” she said.

Lauren’s dedication is to be admired by one and all. Being the only harpist in a sea of other string instruments can be frustrating, but she pulls it off every day.

Her outgoing personality and constant desire to try new things is part of what made her the talented musician that she is today.