Kids These Days Give Chicago a Good Name

Every once in awhile, something big comes out of Chicago, something us Chicagoans can support, something we can rally around, or simply something we can be proud of and claim as our own. Now we can add Kids These Days to that star-studded, athletic, talented, and cherished list.

Kids These Days, a gang of Chi-town youth from across the city have been on the music scene for a few years now, still without a major record dealYet, they are causing such headwind with their new album “Traphouse Rock” that this unique jazz-fusion-blues-rap group will not go unnoticed. Already appearing on Conan O’Brien during his show’s stop in Chicago, and during the hype-creating Lollapalooza, KTD are securing their spot as Chicago’s favorite sons (and daughter).

“Traphouse Rock” is a divorce from their incredibly mellow first album. But what they lack with mellowness they more than make up for with melody, intensity, harsh sampling, and sheer talent. The jazz syncopation they feature is unusually mature for a group this young. The diverse group bring us the instruments of rock, the passion of blues, and the words of the street (and sometimes the words of Ella Fitzgerald like they do in their last track). KTD deserve our attention today, because before long, they will belong to the music community. Let’s embrace our local brethren and give them a listen. Their entire album is available on their website.

(Intro)mental: KTD begin their album by showing off their jazz prowess that sets the tone for the rest of the album. This wordless tune brings in the entire eight-man band.

GHETTO: Vic jumps into his signature lyricist nature in this high-tempo piece. Music lovers will notice some very familiar melodies playing in the background. The song seems to be divided into two parts, the happy and the sad, the upbeat and the compressed, much like the band’s early climb to fame.

Doo-Wah: Macie, Vic, and Liam take this one slow. Proving again that vocals are still cherished,
Liam and Macie refine their blues craft. The morals to be taken away from this one are deep-count your blessings.

Don’t Harsh My Mellow: Vic’s brain child. This marquee track is not for the faint-hearted. Vic’s words are combined with piano and trumpet in a song surely to appear in a soundtrack to a film’s climactic moment someday soon.

Talk 2 You: What kind of band would they be if they didn’t approach the most musical topic of them all -love. In a monologue with a long lost girlfriend, Vic explains what he lost when fame got to them.

Don’t Fall In Love: Straight out of the late ’90s, this “love song” is dark and cerebral. Vocals and rap are featured on this track and embrace the group’s dynamic style. This is the most diverse track on the album in terms of music and message.

Bud Billiken: The fun song of the album where Vic takes us on a lyrical spin. Urbanites will surely recognize the parallels between Vic and themselves.

Don’t Blame Me (For You): If nothing else, this track shows that KTD are not just experienced songwriters but that they can do amazing things in the sampling and editing rooms, too.

Wasting Time: Liam sings his blues soul away in this one. Mellow and passionate; this track is beautifully put together.

L’Afrique: Mellow and fresh, one of the best tracks on the album.

A Man’s Medley: Slow jazz has never sounded so good. Ella Fitzgerald’s “Summertime” gets a fresh reinvention by Macie and is approached with great class. Vic and Liam also take to the mic to make sure that everyone knows that every man needs a woman. The band’s trumpets, sax, guitar, and drums show the world just what talent can produce. This is the most musically-oriented track on the album and will not disappoint.