Niles West to Host Coming Together In Skokie Kick-Off Celebration

Niles West is scheduled to host the annual Coming Together in Skokie Kick-Off Celebration on Friday, Jan. 28 in the auditorium from 7 to 9 p.m.

The Coming Together in Skokie Initiative is an annual celebration of a selected culture within the community.  This year, the event is focused on the Filipino Culture.

Before the cultural program during the Kick-Off Celebration, refreshments will be available for purchase from 5:45 to 6:45 p.m.

“The event will feature a play depicting courtship, Filipino-style, with singing and dancing, followed by a fashion show with traditional Filipino regional costumes as well as the latest styles.  Students from Niles West and Niles North will perform,” said district 219’s community relations director, Jim Szczepaniak.

“One of the main goals of Coming Together in Skokie is to introduce people of all backgrounds and ethnicities to the featured culture, and the committee is working hard to encourage everyone in Niles Township to take part in one or more of the events. We hope that the initiative has the effect of helping people learn more about the literature and culture of some of their neighbors in our very diverse community,” Szczepaniak said.

Szczepaniak said he hopes this year’s event will be as successful as last year’s.

“The community has reacted very positively to the Coming Together in Skokie program,” he said. “Almost every seat on the main floor of the Niles West auditorium was filled last year for the kickoff celebration featuring the Indian community.  More than 3,000 people attended 32 events held over a period of 32 weeks, so the initiative was a notable success.”

For more information, check out the flier at http://www.niles-hs.k12.il.us/sites/default/files/CTIS_Events_Page1.pdf or http://www.skokienet.org/node/27801.