In Defense of ‘Teenage Dream’

The Turnabout is a dance in which girls ask guys out. Our 2nd annual Turnabout is right around the corner. Feb. 12 is the night where you can dance with the boy of your dreams. The original theme of the dance was “Teenage Dream,” which is also a song by Katy Perry; but due to some complaints, sophomore cabinet rushed to change the dance to what is now called, “The Night of Your Dreams.”

Some students on the NWN Facebook page argued that the song may  influence females and make them want to have sex, but coming from a girl’s perspective, it’s not like that. It’s just a good song to sing along to.

Personally, when I hear the song, I think of Mr. Right, I think of my future with a guy. One sophomore  girl said, “It can give a girl a vision on the future. When I hear ‘Teenage Dream,’ I’m not making a decision to go out and have sex. A song is just a song.” And that is true.  I have dreamt about my perfect guy. I could imagine my life in about ten years, and what girl doesn’t think about that?

In the beginning of the song, Perry sings, “You think I’m pretty without any make up on. You think I’m funny when I tell the punch line wrong. I know you get me, so I let my walls come down.” It would be very sweet to meet a guy like that. And yes, she does sing the suggestive lyrics, “Let’s go all the way tonight. No regrets, just love,” but just because I listen to those lyrics does not mean, I’m going to go out and have sex.

After spending an afternoon in the IRC and talking with girls varying from freshmen to juniors, I get the same opinion. It’s disheartening that some people at our school are stereotyping our female students, by assuming we are all having sex because we listen to this one song. We are not that easily influenced. This song is just a song; the morals and beliefs of teenage girls shouldn’t have to come into question here.