Passes Fresh from the Restroom

Passes Fresh from the Restroom

MerrillIf there’s one thing I find to be completely unnecessary in this school, it’s the hallway and bathroom passes.   I can safely say that I have not used one of those dreadfully disgusting passes for at least two years.  Does anyone really know what happens to a pass when it leaves the room?  Every day they are touched by countless hands.  It’s inconceivable.  I’ve heard so many stories, none of which are pretty.

I’m sure you could assume what happens to the passes, but the question still lies.  Are passes necessary?  Well, from my own personal experience, no.  I don’t think I’m specially recognized by security; that would be kind of weird, too.  So how do I do it?

First, when you’re walking through the hall, don’t look like a bum.  Bums are the types of people stopped the most.  For whatever reason, security targets people like that because they feel they’re up to no good.  Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t.  You probably want to avoid doing this.

Never look a security guard in the eye.  That gives them reason to believe you’re up to something, even if you’re not.  If avoidance of eye contact is combined with “walking with a purpose,” you’re pretty much set.  When you walk with a purpose, it shows you’re actually doing something legitimate — not just randomly walking around the hallway.  Essentially, you just have to walk faster than you would if you were taking a leisurely stroll through the park.

Next time you need to leave the room, just say you’ll be alright.  If you want to keep your hands clean, complete your duties without a pass, and after you wash your hands, you won’t regret keeping your hands clean.