Meet Me in a Minute (Special Edition): Marina Yousif

Editors’ Note: This is the sixth in a series of features Niles West immigrants in celebration of International Weeks.

Just four years ago, senior Marina Yousif left all that was familiar to her in Lebanon and came to America for a better life.

Born as an Assyrian in Iraq, Yousif moved to Lebanon when she was three years old, where she learned Arabic, French, and English, making her multilingual. When she arrived here and enrolled at Niles West,  her “teachers were shocked that her English was so good.”

Because she learned English in Lebanon, she was placed in ELL 3-4 when she first arrived here. (Most new students are either placed in intro or ELL 1-2.) She also thrived in math. Although she was a newcomer to America, she was placed in Algebra 12-22.  Right now, she’s even taking regular senior English instead of ELL.

Though Yousif is thriving here in America, her journey has not been an easy one. Her family applied for citizenship three times, and they were declined the first two.

“The last time, we said let’s just try our chances, and we made it,” remembers Yousif.

Once accepted, Yousif moved here with her parents, brother, and two sisters to be united with her extended family.

“I was excited because education and life here is better. [I knew this because] we were in contact with our relatives, and they would tell us about America,” she said.

The hardest part of Yousif’s transition was leaving her friends, who she didn’t even have time to say goodbye to.

“I told them that I got accepted, but I didn’t have time to say goodbye. We’re still in touch on the phone, but I haven’t seen them since 2010.”

Though that aspect was hard for her, Yousif is enjoying her time in America and likes the lifestyle. There are a few differences between American and Middle Eastern culture, one of the main ones being the currency and ways that it is distributed.

In Lebanon, Yousif says that there are very few job opportunities, and it’s very hard to even acquire a job. They also don’t get paid until the end of the month, meaning that money management to get from month to month is crucial.

“I like American lifestyle — when you work and get paid at the end of the week,” Yousif said.

Despite the differences, one thing that Yousif does miss is the Lebanese scenery. Like most people, she hates the snow, and it’s especially hard for her because she was accustomed to constant warmth in Lebanon. However, Yousif has no desire to permanently move back there, but she does want to visit soon.