Boys’ Varsity Basketball Team: Men of “Steal” vs. Waukegan

Boys Varsity Basketball Team: Men of Steal vs. Waukegan

To anyone who may be missing a wallet or a set of keys: check the Niles West boys’ varsity basketball team locker room– they were stealing everything on Friday, Feb. 15 against the Waukegan Bulldogs. The team came up with over 20 steals in their impressive 70-46 victory against an incredibly athletic Waukegan squad.

Senior Alex Darville got things moving early for the Wolves with a free throw. West picked up steal after steal, leading to easy buckets in transition. Ecstatic fans voiced their approval of West’s stifling defense when senior Mohammed Quereshi stole the ball from the Bulldogs and threw down a one handed dunk, electrifying the crowd. Junior Romeo Magloire kept the crowd volume on “high” as he hit a buzzer beating shot to propel the Wolves into the second quarter with a full head of steam.

After junior guard Ahmad Gibson displayed his ball handling skills with an ankle-breaking crossover, he whipped the ball inside to senior David McCoy, who was making his return from injury. McCoy finished with a strong lay-up plus a foul and capitalized at the line, sinking the free throw. Gibson then drained a buzzer beater as the Wolves confidently headed to the locker room for half time.

Darville was the benefactor of West’s countless steals. He made the most of his team-high 17 point night, hitting two straight three pointers. On his performance, Darville, a true team player, credited his success to his teammates.

“I owe all of my offense to my teammates. They found me in transition and got me the ball when I was wide open. We are playing good as a team right now and are really looking forward to making a run in the state tournament,” Darville said.

Head coach Bob Williams credited the teams dominant victory to two things.

“We reduced the amount of easy baskets [Waukegan] were able to get with our steals, and as a result, increased our amount of easy baskets. Easy baskets wins games.”

To account for Waukegan’s freakish athleticism, Williams said the team’s game plan was to “play good team defense and try to help. Be fundamental.”

With one more regular season game on Friday, Feb. 22, the Wolves will look to keep pushing with their eyes set on the state tournament. Up first, they will have to conquer 6’8″ Davidson recruit Andrew McCauliffe and his Glenbrook North Spartans in order to keep their hopes alive in the post season.