2013 Academy Awards: Good Show, Meh Awards

MCT
From left, Daniel Day-Lewis, Jennifer Lawrence, Anne Hathaway and Christoph Waltz backstage at the 85th annual Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Los Angeles, California, Sunday, February 24, 2013. (Lawrence K. Ho/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

The 85th annual Academy Awards, which aired this past Sunday on ABC, was the most entertaining show in the last few years…and probably the least family-friendly. Surprisingly good host Seth MacFarlane, creator of “Family Guy” and “Ted” carried the show pretty well without showing up too many or too few times. However, it takes an Abed Nadir-like knowledge of Hollywood movie references to understand most of the jokes, including the last Golden Globes, so many of them probably went over people’s heads. There were actually only a few awkward highlights, like Kristen Stewart limping out with Daniel Radcliffe with a bruise on her arm and Jennifer Lawrence falling on the stairs when receiving her award. Sadly, no Kirk Douglas “you know” moments. A too-soon John Wilkes Booth joke, “We Saw Your Boobs” song, three  musical numbers, and freeing Don Cheadle joke later, the awards were given out to either the most expected or least expected recipients.

Best Picture: “Argo” A both expected and surprising win, due to its many wins outside of the Academy Awards yet the lack of a best director nomination for Ben Affleck. Not my favorite movie of the year, but the win is certainly more deserving than most of the other nominees.

Best Director: Ang Lee for “Life of Pi” A big surprise as most people, me included, expected this award to go to Stephen Spielberg for “Lincoln.” Seeing as how “Life of Pi” won many other awards for its visuals, that seems to be what the focus is in terms of directing.

Best Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis for “Lincoln” One of the most obvious, yet no less deserving, victories. One of the greatest living actors playing our greatest president? There was no way he wouldn’t win.

Best Actress in a Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence for “Silver Linings Playbook” This year had some major milestones, with both the oldest and youngest Oscar nominees of all-time, this award was a tossup. Anyone could have won, but most people were expecting Jessica Chastain (“Zero Dark Thirty”) to take home the gold. Jennifer Lawrence certainly deserved it, and I’m looking forward to what is shaping up to be a very promising career.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz for “Django Unchained” While Christoph Waltz was great in this role, he didn’t quite stand out like he did in “Inglourious Basterds.” I was rooting for Phillip Seymour Hoffman (“The Master”) on this one.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway for “Les Miserables” Another predictable win, as her incredible tear-jerking rendition of “I Dreamed a Dream” made sure no one in the audience was left with a dry face.

Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Quentin Tarantino for “Django Unchained” While on one hand, it was sad to see “Moonrise Kingdom” not winning the only award it was nominated for, it was nice to see Tarantino’s fantastic writing get recognition, seeing as he got snubbed for a best director nomination.

Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Chris Terrio for “Argo” Seeing as the movie won best picture, it’s not very surprising that it would also win a best writing award as well. The movie definitely had some memorable lines that made this an easy choice.

Best Cinematography: Claudio Mirando for “Life of Pi” Not what I would have chosen, but an obvious choice on the Academy’s part.

Best Editing: “Argo” Another award, like best writing, that further increased the chances that this movie would win best picture as the show went on.

Best Animated Feature Film: “Brave” Now this one was just incorrect. A very mediocre movie in almost every way, not at all up to the increasingly disappointing Pixar. Thy can do better but this doesn’t give them incentive to. Wreck-It-Ralph” was by far the most deserving of the award. A far superior film in every way.

Best Production Design (formerly Art Direction): “Lincoln” While I would have given it to “The Hobbit,” Lincoln was a very good looking movie in terms of its production design, certainly not undeserving of the award.

Best Costume Design: “Anna Karenina” A mediocre film that at least managed to look beautiful got a very deserving award here. If only the story was a good as the visuals…

Best Visual Effects: “Life of Pi” Another obvious win where the entire draw is how amazing the special effects and CGI are, how could this one not win?