West Conquers GBN, Heads to Regional Championship

Junior guard Ahmad Gibson shoots against Glenbrook North Spartans in an overtime thriller with a final score of 53-51. Photo by Vinny Kabat

The Niles West Boys’ Varsity basketball team dug themselves out of what was at one point a 12 deficit on Thursday, Feb. 28 and defeated the Glenbrook North Spartans in an overtime thriller with a final score of 53-51.

The Wolves fell short early, only scoring five points in the first quarter, while the Spartans put up a respectable 17. It was not until late in the third quarter that West’s offense began to click on all cylinders.

In crunch time, when his team needed his leadership most, junior guard Ahmad Gibson didn’t shy away from taking command. Gibson made a conscious effort to involve his teammates, but wasn’t afraid to shoot the ball either, pouring in 12 points on the night.

The three ball was falling efficiently for the Wolves, especially late in the fourth quarter. Senior Joe Younan, refusing to go home empty handed, swished two consecutive threes to tie and then take the lead with two minute to spare in the final period. The final 120 seconds of regulation started with hard-nosed defense leading to low-percentage shots. Tied at 45, West missed a potential game winner as the nail-biter headed to overtime.

Glenbrook North’s 6’8″ Davidson recruit Andrew McAuliffe used his size to place the Spartans in an advantageous position, throwing hand a two-handed slam. Niles West was not phased by the pressure, returning with a spark of their own in Gibson, nailing his free throws in clutch times. Senior David McCoy iced the game with a free throw, putting the Wolves up by two. GBN was unable to connect on three prayers in the final 20 seconds and the Wolves ecstatically galloped off the court as victors.

Head coach Bob Williams was happy with his squad’s performance, but has his mind set on tomorrow’s do or die regional championship final game against the Maine South Hawks.

“Since we’ve already played them (Maine South) twice, getting ready isn’t that hard. We’ll see what we’re made of tomorrow night. It’ll be fun,” said Williams on his team’s thrilling victory.

West will look to take home the regional championship as they battle Maine South at 7:30 ton