Holly and Ava Podcast Takeover, Featuring Mr Baum

Teacher Appreciation Week: Thank You, Mr. Bahi

Editors’ Note: This is the first in a series of thank-you features to teachers who make a difference to an NWN staff member. 

Everyone dreams of owning their dream car.  Whether that’s an 700 horsepower Lamborghini Aventador or a simple Honda S2000.  No matter what type of car, it can take decades until a person is able to even buy that car.  For one teacher here, he has already gotten that car, even at a young age.

When para-professional Michael Bahi drives his dream car, 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer ES Sport, he always feels alert and in control.  “I”m driving the car, the car’s not driving me,” he said.

The manual 2 liter, 4 cylinder, 152 horsepower engine outputs 146 ft/lbs. of torque.  Although the engine is not too large, the car is four-wheel-drive making it fun and versatile.  “My favorite thing about it is that it is a stick [shift] and I am the only one that can drive it,” he said.

car

Originally Bahi had a 1995 Honda Civic in college, but a lady totaled it.  He started looking around for another car, and thought that he was originally going to get a used car.  Instead, a relative that worked at the Mitsubishi dealer in Schaumburg got him a deal on the stick shift Lancer.  In fact, the 2010 Lancer is the last Lancer that was made with a stick shift option.  Skeptical, he went with it anyway.

“It was the best last-minute decision I’ve ever made,” Bahi said.

Since it is Teacher Appreciation Week, I would also like to take this space to thank Mr. Bahi for helping me last year in the Lit Center with all of my algebra II problems.  I think it’s pretty amazing that my grade was able to go up 20 percent because of his help.  Aside from that, we had plenty of conversations about cars, music, and all sorts of random things, making my math tutoring sessions more enjoyable.

So, I’d like to extend a thank you to Mr. Bahi, his help, his patience with me, and his ability to make learning math more enjoyable.