Object of Affection: File Folder of Memories

Editors’ Note: This is the fourth in a series of features highlighting various objects of affection found in Niles West.

On a typical day at school, teachers can be found in their offices during their free periods. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean they have time free. They will probably be grading papers, sending emails, or planning next period’s class. Although it’s not always easy to find time to reconnect and appreciate their jobs, one teacher in particular manages to find time for this.

English teacher, Lisa Denapoli refers to a file folder of collected pictures, notes, and old essays past students have written her.

“I kept this when I started teaching. These are just sweet little things students have left me. There’s cute notes, funny pictures, and even old assignments. If ever I’m having a bad day I just refer to this folder and remind myself that I have the best job in the world,” Denapoli said.

She plucks a manila file folder from her desk drawer and begins to reminisce through the folder and giggles as she finds a funny picture. Even simple drawings that say ” I heart Denaps” make it into the folder.

These cute tokens of affection are what make teaching such a rewarding job. You can see the happiness on a teachers face when you know that they really have helped a student.

The impact students have on their teachers is an irreplaceable feeling that Denapoli appreciates and cherishes.
Denapoli still keeps in touch with some of her former students and loves remembering the high school students they used to be. Reminding herself of what she has accomplished as a teacher is rewarding and comforting.
“Sometimes you lose sight of what’s important. Teaching is a difficult, yet worthy job. Looking through this folder helps me reconnect with why I do what I do.”