Football Schedule Causes Early Homecoming Date

Due to the football team’s home-game schedule, this year’s Homecoming dance will be held Saturday, Sept. 21 in the contest gym from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m.

Homecoming is usually in October, but this year it has been moved to September, upsetting many students who say it’s not enough time to find a date and plan.

“Homecoming is really a combination of many factors, mostly importantly the football schedule.  This year’s home games were all very early, and this was the best choice for our students and the football team,” director of student activities Jessica Pritzker said.

After tonight’s home game against Rolling Meadows, the varsity football team’s next home game is against Glenbrook North — the Homecoming game. This season, the only other home games are Sept. 28 against Evanston and Oct. 11 Maine South.

Senior Boaz Shields, a member of varsity football, prefers a later Homecoming date.

“I would rather have it later, like in October to get that football game feeling — that sweater-weather-kinda weather,” he said. “Also I would rather have it later because I really don’t have time. As I said it’s in the beginning of the year and it’s crunch time. I feel overwhelmed because I want to have a good time, and so does everyone else with their dates. It would be nice to end off my season with a dance to celebrate a good season.”

Senior and varsity football captain Nick Johnson said the September date won’t affect the team.

“I don’t feel pressured at all,” he said. “Right now our focus is beating Ridgewood. We take it one game at a time. And the Homecoming game is the same as every other game. So no pressure at all. “

Some seniors said the earlier date is better.

“I think it [having Homecoming earlier] is a good idea because the weather is still a bit warmer than it would be in October,” senior Lynn Vo said.

“I think that Homecoming being scheduled earlier in the year is actually quite nice,” senior Carly Tennes said. “I’m a pommer, and although I love Homecoming, it can be difficult because its super cold, and we have to wear multiple layers to stay warm during the game and on the float during the parade. Although it still might be cold, it likely wont be as chilly as previous years.”

Homecoming committee member senior Amanda Marie Ratajczyk said the committee has less time to do its planning, but they started last year.

“I think it [the planning for Homecoming] is going good. Yes we have a shorter amount of time, but we started planning last year which was a good idea. I think it comes all down to the work and effort everyone puts in when the deadline is coming up, which is Homecoming,”she said.

Senior Barbara Magiera believes having Homecoming in September is too rushed.

“I feel like [Homecoming] is all a bit rushed. I’m so used to Homecoming being in October that I’m afraid I won’t have enough time to prepare for it. It’s my last homecoming, so I want everything to be perfect, but the timing is making it hard,” Magiera said.

Pritzker, however, said students have plenty of time to figure things out.

“I feel like kids that really want to go will be able to pull it together in a month’s time. It’s much sooner, but it’s still plenty of time to figure out a date and an outfit,” Pritzker said.

She also said having Homecoming earlier will allow for school spirit to settle in early on.

“A lot of the clubs and activities have to get ready earlier, but on the plus side it’s motivating kids to go to meetings earlier and get involved earlier than they would have in the past,” she said.  “It’s stressful for sure (especially for those who actually have to put together the week’s activities), but Niles West spirit will already in play by September!  That’s a pretty great thing.”

Niles North’s Homecoming is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12.