Q & A with The Coldest Girl in Cold Town Author Holly Black

Did you come to see New York times best selling author, Holly Black as she made her way to our own, Niles West IRC during 6th period? Well, If you missed here is a little sneak  peak into her new book: ” The Coldest Girl in Cold Town.”
NWN:  What inspired you to come up with the new book, The Coldest Girl in Cold Town?
Black: My obsessions inspired in coming up with the book. An old copy of the “Interview with the Vampire ,” fairy tales, “The Silver Skull,” and reality TV like “Megan Wants a Millionaire.”
NWN: What is the book about?
Black: It’s a young adult fantasy story about vampires.
NWN: Are any of the characters inspired by people you know?
Black: I use pieces of people, like a clothing style, but I’ve never taken the whole person.
NWN: what’s your favorite literary work that you’ve created yourself, and why?
Black: “Valiant” [A Modern Tale of Faerie], [The Coldest Girl in] “Coldtown”, and “White Cat.”
NWN:  How long did it take to finish writing the book?
Black: I took a year[or]  a year and a half. Well actually a year of writing and and year of editing and publishing
NWN: Did you face any writers block when working on the book? Do you have any tips on getting rid of them?
Black: One of my friends always said: Writers block is symptom that shows something has gone wrong and you can’t go forward without fixing it. With this book I had to go back and [take] out the whole beginning and rewrite it. Also I had to pull out about 30000 words from the ending.
NWN: Which character from any of your stories do you find the most connections with?
Black: I usually feel most connected to the main characters of the book, like the protagonist.
NWN: How are you liking Chicago?
Black: It’s been great. I’ve already tried a deep dish pizza and a super dog.