Your Girl J Ro: Jessie Rosell

Photo courtesy of Jessie Rosell
Photo courtesy of Jessie Rosell

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]t’s not really a guilty pleasure but my favorite food is rice. Just plain white rice. Not very many people know that about me,” was senior Jessie Rosell’s response when asked what her guilty pleasure was. Five minutes later, she changed her answer.

“WAIT! My guilty pleasure is that I love love love the sound of carrots of cracking. Like when you first take a bite out of a baby carrot! That noise it makes. I love that,” she said.

That’s just a taste of RosellWhether she’s known to you as Jessie, J-Dawg, Jesserz, Jess, J Ro, or her least favorite, Jessica, she is a force to be reckoned with. Her bubbly demeanor, unique sense of humor, and level headed persona presented in every situation she’s in makes her an unforgettable girl. Seventeen going on 18, and she’s already starting to find the secret to life: true happiness.

“I think my motto in life is to find something that makes you happy. Use every experience to your advantage,” Rosell said.

Rosell as a child. Photo Courtesy of Jessie Rosell

EARLY LIFE

Growing up in Lincolnwood, Jessie was involved in almost every recreational sport humanly possible. She tackled basketball, soccer, volleyball, swimming, and softball. In fact, one of her earliest memories is playing basketball with her two siblings, Tyler, 21, and Courtney, 14. Playing sports and having numerous barbecues with family friends developed the Rosells, and Jessie especially, into becoming super family oriented. She started to willingly spend time with her brother and sister, and bonded over sports, music, and humor.

“Laughing is one of the most important things in my life. Tyler definitely fed me my sense of humor,” Rosell said.

Although Tyler is off at Indiana University, Rosell just says that distance makes her want to soak in every moment she has with him at home. However, Courtney just started high school at Niles West, and has become one of Rosell’s close friends this past year.

“I grew up with with a hilarious girl and she’s always been there for me. I don’t care if she’s weird, she’s still awesome!” Freshman and sister, Courtney Rosell said.

Along with being family oriented, Rosell says a big part of her upbringing was going to church her whole life. That’s impacted her life majorly more than the average person knows.

FAITH

Rosell’s faith starting from her birth. As she got older and older, she started to go voluntarily, and it become one of her biggest priorities in life.

“It became less of a chore in high school. I started to go when I got my license and would just go up there sometimes by myself.”

Since 2nd grade, Rosell has been attending Covenant Point Bible Camp for weeks at a time on the upper peninsula in Iron River, Michigan. Coincidentally, Rosell’s family owns a lake house on the same lake, so it’s become like a second home. This summer, Rosell actually began working at the camp she’s loved since a child, and is apart of their work crew.

“A day in the life of camp first includes the morning; waking up, eating breakfast as a camp, and having our first worship. We have a session after, where a speaker talks, and then shortly after, we have some sort of game or activity like swimming or kickball. Then we get cabin time, where I usually rock climb or do the high ropes course. Shortly after that there’s lunch, rest time for an hour, and then free time!” Rosell said. “There’s arts and crafts, swimming, and since I’m on staff, I like to go up to my lake house or run. After that, there’s dinner, then there’s a second worship session, and finally, a night time game like steal the bacon with mattresses! It’s always random, spontaneous, and in the moment.”

PERSONA

From Twitter to Instagram to Facebook, Rosell always has a witty, hilarious comment to make whether she’s making fun of herself, or about life in general. In fact, when she was asked what was something she wished she could do but couldn’t, Rosell answered, “DANCE. But the fact that I can’t do it doesn’t keep me from doing it.”

Her twitter biography reads, “I like to dance but I’m really bad at it let’s be friends?”

Friends and peers see Rosell’s exposure over social media and can’t help but chuckle at some of her ridiculous photos.

“Not to toot my own horn,” Rosell said, “but I’m a very witty person. I can come up with puns very quickly, which I get from my dad. At holiday parties I’ll pull out a guitar and start singing.”

One of her best friends, senior Demetra Adrahtas, agrees.

“Jessie is a great character, and if you spend enough time with her, she’ll rub off on you. That’s because Jessie is the type of girl everyone can be comfortable around. She’s always looking for the good in people and won’t settle for anything less than happiness, and she takes on the task of making her peers happy because doing is so natural for her.”

Jessie with her sister, Courtney. Photo courtesy of Jessie Rosell

SCHOOL SPIRIT AND LEADERSHIP

As most of Niles West knows, Rosell is a huge face of Niles West. Whether she’s partaking in varsity volleyball games herself, or cheering on fellow friends and peers, she is guaranteed to make an appearance at a school function with her game face on, and ready to pump everyone else up, too. Her coach, Stacy Metoyer, admits she’s a great leader, on and off the court.

“Jessie is a caring, hard-working person who has great leadership skills.  She is an asset to the volleyball program and you can count on her.”

“School spirit just makes me a happier person. If I personally start getting excited, it creates the domino effect, which makes everyone else have so much more fun. High school is a time to be excited and have energy. College isn’t so personal,” Rosell said.

Rosell started getting this mentality from observing since her freshman year, looking up to the seniors, and one in particular: her good family friend, Ryan Marohn.

“Ryan helped me with developing my school spirit. Just be seeing the class of 2011 all getting along and having good energy made me want to start cheers at games and get groups excited. I like to be apart of things instead of sitting back and just watching. Going above and beyond some things is something I definitely like to do.”

BALANCE IN LIFE

So how does Rosell keep her busy lifestyle in check? Simple: by making time for each and every single thing she loves to do.

Ever since her early childhood, she’s loved music. From singing to playing guitar to listening to relaxing artists like “City in Color,” she loves music, especially live, more than anything. But volleyball is her true passion, and she even claims it’s the best thing she’s done in high school.

“Volleyball is so nice to have a team where we can bond, which is shown on the court to fans, but off the court, it’s really a drama freezone. I’ve met some of my best friends because of it.”

Through her love of people and things around her, Rosell’s developed a self hobby of photography throughout the years. She takes a camera everywhere she goes and loves that she can capture her favorite moments with it.

“One of the best feelings ever is when my pictures get printed. All the memories just come flooding back, and it’s just a great thing.”

But her true balance in life comes from within. If it wasn’t for her parents raising her with a carefree personality, she wouldn’t be able to soak up all these moments in her high school career.

“Jessie stands out because she always puts a smile on your face, she’s a great girl who can always brighten anyone’s day,” friend and fellow senior classmate, Kevin Finn said.

FUTURE

As for after leaving Niles West, Rosell doesn’t find distance an issue for schooling, but plans on going to North Park University, which is right down the street from her church, and plans on majoring in Education.

“I have to be around people. I absolutely cannot work in a cubicle!” Rosell gushed.

But if there’s one thing Rosell wants to be remembered for when she graduates, is uniting the school.

“I really love seeing people all come together with positive energy and being proud of one thing. It’s awesome to proud and a part of something.”

She believes that since experiences at Niles West has helped mold her into the kind of energetic and positive person she is today, she hopes when she’s a teacher to make that a huge part of the curriculum.

“Having relationships with people around you is one of the most things you can do for yourself.”