Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

The Family Gets A Big Thumbs Up

The Family Gets A Big Thumbs Up
MCT

“The Family” is one of the few good movies that have been out in a long time. It had different factors in it that melt together in perfect harmony and create a movie about the Manzoni’s, a family of four who have been under the witness protection program of the FBI for the past 6 years because the father ratted out the Mafia’s leader he used to work with.

The movie starts out with the family relocating- for the who knows what time- and trying to readjust in Normandy, France. From fires to fights to heartbreaks, trouble seems to follow them everywhere. It’s hard being a Manzoni, Blake, or whatever name the FBI gives them.  Not only do they have to worry about fitting into their new life and names, but they have to make sure that the people who are trying to kill them aren’t still on their tails.

One of my favorite parts- without giving too much away- has to be near the ending. It was a big fight scene and everyone was involved in it. The rush the scene gave me was beyond sensational. The sound track they added to it was perfect. It was very nice to sit through a movie and not knowing what will happen next. With all the predictable movies out there, it seems hard to find something like that nowadays.

I also liked how the movie contained multiple different genres. It had some action scenes, it was dramatic and romantic with a dash of comedy. It was the perfect combination for a Sunday movie night.

The casting was great.

I think it is safe to say that now, Robert DeNiro (Giovanni Manzoni/ Fred Blake) has mastered the role of an Italian guy who has some connection to the Mafia. He is one of the most experienced and powerful actors in Hollywood. His movies are always enjoyable and tend to push me over the edge of my seat. Michelle Pfeiffer (Maggie Blake) also did a brilliant job portraying the wife of an ex-mafia member.

I highly recommend this movie. It is R, however, so there is profanity and some not so friendly scenes. If you’re old enough to watch it without a parent, I recommend doing that to cut on the awkwardness. Other than that, the movie is definitely worth the time and money you’ll spend on it.

4.5/5 Stars