Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Get in the Act: Prepare for the ACTs

Get in the Act: Prepare for the ACTs
Senior Ashley Pak giving tips for junior and senior year.

One of the most stressful part of the college application process is probably taking the ACT. Some people are lucky to get their desired score on the first try, but for many of us, the “third time’s the charm” method doesn’t even work. I took the September ACT and the room was filled with seniors, sitting impatiently hearing the same instructions they have listened to each time they take the test.

Classes are harder, ACT/SAT deadlines are coming, and college applications are chasing us from behind so I’m going to share you a few tips and tricks that have been helpful for getting me through this process.

1. Study for the ACT consistently. I took classes, had tutors, and bought multiple books. Try to review every day or every other day, and then the day before the test, review for only a little bit, but don’t fry your brain.

2. Start taking the test your junior year and finish them your senior year. For me, I took the ACT quite a lot throughout junior and senior year, and I’m glad I did. If you’re not happy with your first score, it’s not the end of the world because starting early allows you the adequate time to retake it.

3. When you take the test your junior year, you get to send your scores to four colleges of your choice for free. A lot of students write down random schools, but sending your scores is actually pretty expensive. Take advantage of this opportunity and don’t waste it.

4. I never realized how stressful it can get when applying to colleges. There are so many different factors that make up one application. The only advice I have is to start early. I thought I started early compared to my friends, but it’s still not enough time. Start by sending your ACT scores to your list of colleges right when you find out (this can be done online) and just work your way down a to-do list.

This advice is applicable for everyone at Niles West. Take these tips into consideration when thinking about what you can do about your future.