Wolves Lose Close Fight Against Maine South

The Niles West Wolves put up a great fight against the Maine South Hawks at Friday night’s football game despite the 35-20 defeat. The stands were packed to the capacity with a full cheering squad and the energy was exhilarating.

The Wolves won the coin toss and received the kick-off. Senior Andrew Mihulet returned the ball for a respectable gain and The Wolves were off. Junior quarterback Tommy Galanopoulos made the most out of his time in the pocket making key completions and giving solid handoffs to the runningback.

West threw the football looking for some big yards, but was intercepted by a Maine South cornerback with 10:24 left in the first quarter.

A few plays later,  Mihulet picked off the ball on the Wolves own 20 yard line, preventing The Hawks from entering the red zone.

NW was unable to generate much offense and were forced to punt. Maine South gained possession of the ball and passed in a touchdown with 4:27 left in the opening quarter. The PAT was also successful, putting The Hawks up 7-0 early in the game.

Niles West returned the kick and the offense yet again was unable to get something going and forced to punt.

The Hawks rushed the ball upfield and ran the ball in for a second touchdown. The extra point attempt was good, putting The Wolves in the hole 14-0 concluding the first quarter.

The second quarter began slowly with multiple turnovers by both teams until Maine South fumbled the football turning possession to NW with 2:47 left in the half.

The Wolves were unable to score, even though they had great field position, but right on cue, Mihulet intercepted the ball again with 1:14 left before halftime.

West was able to score this time with a quick touchdown. The PAT was blocked by The Hawks’ defense, however, putting the score at 14-6.

NW kicked the ball off to The Hawks who picked up a short gain. Maine South’s quarterback tried to move swiftly and efficiently, but was picked off by Mihulet once again. This interception concluded the first half.

The second half started rather slow with no scoring until The Hawks scored with 1:43 left in the quarter. The extra point was successful as well. The 3rd quarter ended 21-6 with the hawks out ahead.

The final quarter booted up with a quick Maine South rushing touchdown and extra point.

Mihulet ran the ball the whole length of the field for a special teams touchdown with 9:41 left in the game. The PAT to follow was good, putting the ball game at 28-12 with The Wolves still fighting.

Maine South rapidly retaliated a rushing touchdown with 6:00 left in the game and a PAT. The score 35-13.

NW was not done and came up with a touchdown from Galanopoulos to Mihulet.

The game concluded 35-20 with a Maine South victory, the first loss the Wolves have surrendered this season. Next week, The 6-1 Wolves look to take on The New Trier Trevians. Make sure to support your record-breaking Wolves football team!