National French Week 2013

National French Week 2013

This week Niles West celebrates National French Week, which was created by the American Association of Teachers of French (AATF), which was founded in 1927.

“National French Week was created to let people in the school and the community know the value of learning the richness of French culture and the relevance of French in the world today,” world languages instructor Eileen Walvoord.

Students not taking French will get to participate in National French Week. There will be a crepe sale on Friday outside the cafeteria for all lunch periods. Crepes sell for 75 cents each. There will also be a special surprise for the whole school on Friday.

All during the week students taking a French class will be doing activities in class. Some will celebrate Francophone countries, which is countries that speak French. French is a worldwide language spoken on every continent.

“We’ll take countries from around the world and explore the different cultures,” French teacher Leslie Natzke said.

On Tuesday, students taking French will be making crepes in class and play a game called Boules.

Boules is a game where you have a little ball called a cochonnet and throw heavy metal balls to get them to land as close to the cochonnet as you can.

On Saturday November 9th, there will be a French Immersion Day for French students from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. There will be games, a scavenger hunt, and music.

Steven Beaver, a French teacher who retired last year, will make a guest appearance.

This Immersion Day was organized by the French Club that meets Mondays after school.