Girls Gymnastics Preview

Senior Emily Suarez during gymnastics practice
Gymnastic girls are starting out their new season and the NWN sat down with head coach Susan Arcus about her expectations for the new season.
NWN: What is your outlook for this gymnastics season?
Arcus: We are very excited about our 2013-14 season.  We have more girls on the team than ever before with a lot of talent
NWN: What are your expectations from the girls and what goals are you trying to achieve by the end of the season?
Arcus: Our goal is for each of our young ladies to grow as a person and athlete.  We don’t only focus on the gymnastics aspect but on being a good teammate and helpful member of society.
NWN: Who are your team captains?
Acrus: Seniors Emily Suarez and Valerie Fung are our captains.  Emily is a bar specialist and Valerie is an all arounder.
NWN: What kind of training are the girls put through?
Arcus: All of our varsity girls and many of our JV girls work out year round.  We have a 6 week summer camp which most of the team attends.  Our practices are 6 days a week with very focused workouts highlighting different parts of their routines.  Strength and cardio are also part of our training.
NWN: What makes gymnastics stand out as a sport?
Arcus: I think gymnastics stands out in the CSL due to our amazing facility and very special young ladies on our team. Our gymnastics gym is the best facility in the area.  We are the only high school team with a training pit.  We also can have both the boys and girls equipment up year round which really helps.  Our girls team is also known for being very supportive and enthusiastic.  Last year in a 12 school invitational, Niles West was awarded the team with the  best spirit and support for their team as well as  other gymnasts within the gym.  We are very proud of that.
NWN: How did the girls do last year?
Arcus: Last year we had 3 girls go to sectional competition. Junior Catherine Steegmueller in the bars, floor, vault and all around. Fung on floor and vault. And graduate Nicholle Fourkas made it on floor.
NWN: Who are you looking forward to compete against?
Arcus: We enjoy every meet.  Each team brings a new chance to highlight the new skills we have learned and attempts to correct those areas that were lacking in the previous meet.
NWN: What are the girls’ strengths and weaknesses?
Arcus: Our strength is our energy, enthusiasm, and support for each other.  Our weakness is that we never have enough time to accomplish all of our goals.