Nelson Mandela: Leaving Behind a Legacy

Nelson Mandela: Leaving Behind a Legacy
MCT

After battling a lung infection for months, Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president, passed away on Thursday, Dec. 5.

Mandela leaves behind a legacy of truth, justice, and equality; one that will prevail and survive even though he is no longer physically in this world.

Students agree that he will be remembered and missed.

“He was a really inspiring man who will be forever remembered for all that he did to change South Africa,” senior Tina Conis said.

“I think his contributions were beneficial and great and he will be deeply missed,” senior Amanda Muir said.

Mandela worked against segregation and apartheid in South Africa along with advocating many positive changes in the South African country. He has a major role in the present state of South Africa. One that can neither be ignored nor rejected. But on a larger scale, Mandela has a major role in showing us how to work towards a goal.

Mandela’s struggle in obtaining an equal and just life for everyone in South Africa was not free of struggles. Mandela was placed in jail numerous times, and spent 27 years in prison. Not only that, according to NBS News, until 2008, the United States of America considered Mandela to be a terrorist even though he won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. Imagine working against an unjust action and having to spend 27 years barred from life.

Mandela once said, “Difficulties break some men but make others. No axe is sharp enough to cut the soul of a sinner who keeps on trying, one armed with the hope that he will rise even in the end.”

Although, this can be understood to symbolize his life, it can also be extended further for what Mandela wants us to do. He pushed us to keep on working and not let anything stop you. He not only said that through words, he also showed us through his life how one should not give up.

This man taught us that perseverance and patience are key in order to work towards equality and peace. He showed us how we must step forth instead of just sitting back and complaining, or simply giving up. Mandela didn’t give up even though he spend 27 years in prison. Once he left prison, he forgave his white counterparts. Thus, Mandela teaches us about forgiveness and peace. He left a positive message. We need to move forward and embrace the present in order to change the future.

These characteristics of Mandela make him someone who senior Mahnoor Bhatti draws inspiration from.

“I personally don’t think anyone can be perfect. But if there is someone in this world who is the closest to being perfection, it would be Nelson Mandela. He taught me how to make peace with everyone I meet and that there is good in everyone, even though they may not show it,” she said.

Although I am saddened that Mandela is no longer present in the world to spread his good ideas with us, I am content that he effectively stood up and achieved his goals. I salute Mandela for the outstanding work he has done. You will be truly missed as the world has lost one of its most valuable members. RIP, Nelson Mandela.